ISP for multiple PC offices

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by madmaxer, May 6, 2005.

1. If you like the dual wan setup as much as I like it you're in for a real treat. It is a backup and extra speed all in one. Let us know how it goes.

#21     May 7, 2005
  2. Hawking H2BR4 Dual WAN Router

Rather than start a new thread on Hawking routers I thought I would just add these workarounds to this thread where I have already posted on the subject. I first noticed a problem when WAN1 went down and the router did not automatically reconnect to WAN2. The information below should help fix this problem, at least until hawking makes a firmware upgrade that addresses these issues. These fixes were made by trial and error so if someone else has a better workaround or fix I would love to hear it.

I have found that the hawking router *sometimes* has a problem with remembering certain information about the WAN connections - and this can lead to an inability to connect to the internet when one or the other WAN connection is lost. In particular it tends to forget the DNS server (both primary and secondary) and default gateway for both WAN1 and WAN2. At times one or the other will drop out. The problem comes when one of your ISPs goes down and you are unable to connect to the internet because your second (or first) ISP's DNS server is not automatically populated or cannot ping the default gateway because it has dropped out.

I have found that the solution to the DNS problem is to simply input the WAN1 primary DNS as the Domain Name Server address (General Setup / WAN / DNS) and the WAN2 primary DNS as the Secondary DNS address.

I have also noticed that the router occasionally drops the default gateway information so I have manually placed the two router gateways respectively under General Setup / WAN / Policy in the "Ping the IP" field.

Furthermore I have found the DHCP server to sometimes be unreliable (in particular after WAN1 or WAN2 disconnects). This observation was made prior to implementing the static DNS server information in the router setup, so it may not be an issue now. But I manually assigned the IP addresses to the computers on my network.

After making all these adjustments the hawking router does in fact automatically switch to the other WAN connection when I unplug one or the other of them.

I hope this helps someone who has decided to go the DUAL WAN route with this hawking H2BR4 router. I still like this router (for the price there is no competition) but have now consigned myself to the fact that it takes a bit of work to get it up and running and to work around any problems in the firmware.

#22     Jun 4, 2005
  3. duard

duard

I very much appreciate your input. Comcast installed my cable an hour ago and I am in the process of converting to your outlined dual WAN set-up. I'm wondering if anybody else has experience with the dual WAN set-up and as such will also start a thread re: dual WAN set-up.

Thanks TriPack

#23     Jun 4, 2005
  4. I planed to implement Dual WAN as most of the advices on this tread were toward using dual WAN, but I started with Cable. The first week they had an outage, Thanks god I was not in any position. Now I know I will surely use dual wan.

#24     Jun 5, 2005