isolating a hardwired computer from wireless network

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by jj90, Feb 1, 2011.

1. It makes sense from the manufacturer's viewpoint. ADSL modems are home appliances. If you already have a CPU and Linux (costs too much to not have Linux), then why not enable routing/NAT for a wider audience. Of course for the techie, it is just another box which needs to be configured. That is the nature of mass production.

#11     Feb 2, 2011
  2. LeeD

LeeD

I am just puzzled regarding people who are buying all those routers with a "WAN" plug. Does everyone alraedy have a few ADSL 2 modesms in working condition? (Note: most modems that come from Internet proividers are either USB or contain a wireless router already.)

#12     Feb 2, 2011
  3. LeeD

LeeD

I am not even sure which manufacturers win... Imagine DisplayPort spiltter that allows streaming a differnet picture to 2 DisplayPort monitors that don't have an internal splitter.

The chip costs $10 in a bulk of 10,000. Now add a 5cm cable, a plastic box, a few capacitors... and you are looking at over $150 in retail.

#13     Feb 2, 2011
  4. jj90

jj90

From Scataphagos's question, which I took to mean that the above answers would apply if I was to simply use only the hardwired connection during market hours and simply turn my wireless network on after? Seems to defeat the purpose of going wireless but it's an alternative.

#14     Feb 2, 2011
  5. eNetwork

eNetwork

I would like to know how I can isolate two wireless LANs and yet allow them to share a single internet connection. For clarification, I do not want computers on LAN 1 being able to "see"/communicate with the computers on LAN 2 nor should the computers on LAN 2 be able to "see"/communicate with the computers on LAN 1. Can this be done with just switches, routers, access points etc or do I need a server?

I would appreciate a diagram if that is not too much trouble.

Thank you

#15     Sep 4, 2011
  6. Eight

Eight

I have a cable modem plugged to a switch. I have a whitelisting hardware firewall between the trading computer and the switch and a wifi router plugged into the switch.. How can somebody not in the whitelist get into my trading computer unless they spoof one of the addresses in the whitelist? How can they spoof an address if the whitelisting firewall has Stateful Packet Inspection?

#16     Sep 4, 2011
  7. How I would set this up is 1st have a modem. The cable modem is then attached to hardware firewall. The hardware firewall is your main defense against anyone hacking into your network. Next I would have a switch that can be setup as a VPN hooked into the firewall. Then the switch would be connected to a 2nd switch. Both switches set for different IP address. One switch is connect to a wireless router, the other switch is connected to your trading computer.

If you want to be even safer and have a backup in case your Internet goes down, pay for 2 different provides for example 1 cable and 1 DSL.

The trading computer would always be on a separate Internet line then the rest of your computers.

If the Internet goes down for one of these systems, you shut off the non needed computers to let your trading computer continue to run.

Another option is to not even have the trading computer in your house. Pay for a VPS, and if you can afford it, pay for a co-located server on NASDAQ and install HF AI software on that server.

#17     Oct 24, 2011