Isn't the "Fiscal Cliff" the Best Thing for America?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by oldtime, Nov 8, 2012.

1. toc

toc

There you go 30 ml of Lidocaine from India for less than 20 cents cost plus shipping.

http://www.medindia.net/drug-price/lidocaine-prilocaine/lignocaine-2-hcl.htm

How much does Syringe cost? $1 in US

How much does healing medication gel to apply cost $5 in US

How much does needles and stitches threads cost? $5 or so in US

Less that 20 bucks one has taken care of oneself and that too without waiting long in pain and losing blood and being in trauma for long.

And I forgot to add, the supplies bought are far from exhausted and can be used 2-3 times more whenever need arises.

Folks should pile up on such supplies and learn some medical tricks if both from Youtube and some friendly nurse or medical pro. Just take care apply such art at only non critical areas like hands or legs and on wounds that are away from blood vessels and veins.

Medical Theifery should be abolished! :D

#51     Nov 10, 2012
  2. #52     Nov 10, 2012
  3. Inelastic demand. That sums it up. No need to make it complicated.
    Right wing ideologues - like Denninger - try to live in a world where this doesn't exist.

#53     Nov 10, 2012
  4. piezoe

piezoe

Yes, that's all quite true. What's the best way to make demand more elastic? Or is that impossible because of the nature of the beast? Is there's no free market solution possible? What's this best way to cut costs in half while still delivering acceptable quality of care and outcomes? Any constructive ideas there, Trefoil?

I thought the "public option" was an essential component of the ACA. If the goal was to destroy the ACA via the back door, then taking out the Public Option seems a good way to accomplish that! On the other hand the proponents apparently decided if they could get a foot in the front door that was better than nothing. While the ACA increases access to care, there are too few cost containment measures in the ACA at present. I don't see it making demand any more elastic.

#54     Nov 11, 2012
  5. Obviously demand for health care services is as close to inelastic as you can get when things are really a matter of life or death, and less so as you move down the scale of seriousness. The new law figures an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and so encourages the ounce of prevention. We'll just have to see if that brings costs down or at least gets it to the point where medical inflation starts to reasonably match inflation in everything else. Unless Ben Franklin was wrong, I suspect it will.

#55     Nov 11, 2012
  6. I can't wait until the mortgage interest deduction goes away!!

#56     Nov 11, 2012
  7. eliminating both the mortgage deduction and charitable contributions would be a good thing

but better would be eliminating all corporate taxes

you can get what you need in personal income taxes

raising dividends and interest to ordinary income

eliminating capital gains

not sure what your problem is

people are corporations my friend

or what did the man say? corporations are people my friend, you get it when they finally get paid

#57     Nov 11, 2012
  8. almost all the bribery that goes on in Washington D.C. is written in the tax code, which nobody can understand. Eliminate corporate taxes and you eliminate 90% of lobbying.

The point isn't to get people and catch people. The point is to fund the government which we as voters decided we want.

The easiest place to get it is when the common man gets it as income, either through a salary, or a bonus, or through a dividend or interest.

All the rest is business activity, especially capital gains, which may or may not work out over the long run.

If I'm Lord of the Shire, I want people trading, taking risks. I'll take my cut when they put it in the bank.

And if I let you build your business up practically tax free, then you don't have much to complain about when it is all said and done I exact a very high rate against you.

#58     Nov 11, 2012
  9. toc

toc

Can you elaborate on this point, how would corp tax elimination reduce lobbying or corruption in the DC.

#59     Nov 11, 2012
  10. piezoe

piezoe

There you go! The Republicans say they won't agree to raising marginal rates, but closing tax "loop holes" is on the Table. So,

1) No mortgage interest tax deduction for anyone with AGI >= $250K.
    2) No lower rates for unearned income >= $250K.

There is more than one way to skin a cat. :D

#60     Nov 11, 2012