Isn't GOOG a great short right now??

Discussion in 'Trading' started by rubberbird, Feb 11, 2005.

Is GOOG a good short right now?

1. Yes, the lock-up expiring spells lower prices

27 vote(s)
    38.0%
  2. No, extra shares on the market is bullish

20 vote(s)
    28.2%
  3. I don't know

24 vote(s)
    33.8%
  1. If the GOOGsters are really really smart they will sell nothing, they will buy. They will take the shorts to the cleaners, and when they beg for mercy, they will parcel out the insider shares for them to cover with ................................at 250.

Sleep well shorts, the end is nigh.

#11     Feb 11, 2005
  2. FWIW I brought a large number of 180 puts right after the earnings report for avg 0.55c, with the intention, as the one of the other posters above, to hold until after the lock up. BUT I couldn't resist getting out of the position the other day at $3.85. :D

I may go back in next week, but long not short :eek:

#12     Feb 12, 2005
  3. Mvic

Mvic

LOL Stock 777, I slept like a baby last night. I am up over $120K since earnings and increased my position by 50% Friday on the head fake. I could be wrong but all things considered Goog will be lower at the end of the month than where it closed yesterday.

#13     Feb 12, 2005
  4. mhashe

mhashe

It could go either way. My thesis is it goes up with the market next week.

#14     Feb 12, 2005
  5. Any trade advertised on CNBC should be suspect. All day Friday, CNBC was telling viewers that the lock-up is expiring. A lot of people could be short and wrong on Monday.

There was also a large buyer of Google Feb. 220 calls on Friday, splitting his volume into 500 lots. These options expire Friday. I know, I watched it.

Finally, if memory serves me correctly, Mark Cuban essentially "sold" his stock before the lockup by going long puts and short calls in the options market. Long put, short call creates a synthetic short position. Hope I got the name right on the above situation. Anyway, we at least know that these types of strategies were also available to GOOG shareholders before the lock-up expiration.

#15     Feb 12, 2005
  6. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

#16     Feb 12, 2005

7. Congrats, but the problem with cherry [​IMG]picked results like this is that they are, you guessed it, cherry picked. How many 55 cent puts have you had to send to the shredder, in order to collect on this one?

#17     Feb 12, 2005

8. awww bird, gonna miss your SP top 1185! posts.

plus Hank is long the index at this point so you are not going to find much comfort over there

(I didn't know ET gave massage's! Where's mine!)

#18     Feb 12, 2005
  9. Mvic

Mvic

Not too many 777 as I rarely trade stocks or stock options and when I do I never buy way out of the money.

#19     Feb 12, 2005
  10. Mvic

Mvic

LOL sorry 777 now I see you were not talking to me.

#20     Feb 13, 2005