Islam, Religion of Peace?

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Rearden Metal, Mar 12, 2003.

1. I really hope we're not wasting each other's time here. I have checked the search results you pointed me to, and none of them made reference to The Quran with regards to Abu Afak story, so I'd be grateful if you point me to a link you have checked yourself which clearly states the verses of The Quran which discuss the Abu Afak story.

#52     Mar 25, 2003
  2. Honestly, I find most religions to be a crock of shit. I hate to say that, but the older I get, the more that I realize that organized religion is a way of keeping order within some societies. At least, various governments (if not all, to some extent or another) have been using religion to control people since the beginning of mankind.

I have renounced my beliefs in Christianity after much struggling and dealing with the disappointment of many in my family.

I would like to belong to a group, so I'm currently researching Judaism. They do not believe in a Messiah, but do believe in a God. I could perhaps become a reform Jew or a reconstructionist Jew after finding a rabbi to sponsor me.

Then again, being Jewish is very much a social / ethnic thing as well as just a religious thing.

I just cannot believe that "God" has sent a messiah to Earth. I didn't like the mind-games played in the Christian faith, either (what is it about the trinity? How can Jesus also be God but not God himself? Who is the Holy Ghost?)

Oh well ...

#53     Mar 25, 2003
  3. Hey aphie! let me welcome you to the club! :)

Judaism huh? yeah, i can guess there could be a few advantages to being a jew. they're a pretty tight nit group, aren't they? do you think it might be a bit tough to break in though?

oh, and aphie, they certainly DO believe in a messiah! where do you think the idea came from??? (they just don't believe jesus was the messiah)

the thing that irks me about the jews is all this "god's chosen people" crap. gimme a break...

how the hell can you go from one organized bunch of tommy rot to another?

or maybe, like seinfeld's dentist, you're just converting to judaism for the jokes?? :D

Then again, being Jewish is very much a social / ethnic thing as well as just a religious thing.

yeah i know.. no one ever talks about the holy ghost... poor guy..

#54     Mar 25, 2003
  4. Rearden Metal,

Did you find the verses which discuss Abu Afak's story ? By the way, what was Abou Afak's religion ?

#55     Mar 25, 2003
  5. no, and Jewish.

#56     Mar 25, 2003
  6. Babak

Babak

#57     Mar 25, 2003
  7. Daniel_m,

Who are "god's chosen people" ? The Jews ? and why ?

#58     Mar 25, 2003
  8. msfe

msfe

Bush and God

A higher calling: It is his defining journey—from reveler to revelation. A biography of his faith, and how he wields it as he leads a nation on the brink of war

By Howard Fineman
    NEWSWEEK

March 10 issue — George W. Bush rises ahead of the dawn most days, when the loudest sound outside the White House is the dull, distant roar of F-16s patrolling the skies. Even before he brings his wife, Laura, a morning cup of coffee, he goes off to a quiet place to read alone.

HIS TEXT ISN’T news summaries or the overnight intelligence dispatches. Those are for later, downstairs, in the Oval Office. It’s not recreational reading (recently, a biography of Sandy Koufax). Instead, he’s told friends, it’s a book of evangelical mini-sermons, “My Utmost for His Highest.”

ctd http://www.msnbc.com/news/878520.asp

#59     Mar 25, 2003
  9. whocares

whocares

Who ? The Jews indeed.
    Why ? because they wrote so on the torah.
    They are the chosen race, and the rest of the world is a lower race, and some orthodox Jews even group the rest with animals in the same category. So it's like a Jew is free to kill, steal, wrape a non-Jew, but is forbidden to do so to a fellow Jew.

Oh yes, and they teach it to their children at school.

And one last thing, they detest every other religion on the world, and would do anything to destroy it.

My regards to all Christian churches all across the US!

#60     Mar 25, 2003