Islam and Wife Beatings?

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by ShoeshineBoy, Apr 18, 2004.

1. #31     Apr 20, 2004
  2. Where else? Liberal PC whitewashing of Islam. Lies.

#32     Apr 20, 2004
  3. I hope this begins the liberation...

#33     Apr 20, 2004
  4. guess what, they dig incest too

from this NYT article

"Brain malformations are rare, making it hard for researchers like Dr. Walsh, who are trying to pinpoint the genes responsible for them, to find enough cases to study.

Dr. Walsh's success is partly a result of his research strategy: he has focused on populations and regions, like the Middle East, where the deformities are more easily found because families are large, marriage among close relatives is common and the people stay in the same villages or cities for generations.

In Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, for example, 58 percent of women marry blood relatives, Dr. Walsh said, so researchers need to find only 10 affected families to have enough cases to study instead of the thousands of families that would otherwise be required."

#34     Apr 20, 2004

5. Oh bullshit.

"Immaterial" huh? What people believe or say they believe is of no importance at all huh? Couldn't possibly have any effect on behavior huh? Rubbish.

Fact is jack, that people who say wife beating is A-Ok are, by all but the most culturally relativistic standards, primitive.

Furthermore, somone who agrees wife beating is wrong and still goes ahead and does it is obviously still better than someone who thinks it is right and does. Obviously the former recognises that what he done was wrong and, as mental health professionals will tell you, that's the first step in correcting the behavior. The latter doesn't even think he's done anything wrong.

And with these muslims (those who believe it's right), not only do the believe it's right, they believe, literally (and fervently), it's a god given right. Which again, is very, very different to what you'd find in the west. Sure, spousal abuse no doubt happens the world over, but you don't see an entire socio-religious structure lending support to it in america the way you do in the middle east do you?

#35     Apr 20, 2004
  6. You are so right! I mean, why waste your strength on your wife when the kids are an easer target. Spare the rod, spoil the child. Praise Jesus, hallelujah, and Amen.

#36     Apr 20, 2004
  7. Sounds like the history of the British Royal Family and most of Appalachia :)

#37     Apr 20, 2004
  8. Joke - right??

#38     Apr 20, 2004
  9. Nope, dead serious. You?

Look, I know it's wrong to cheat on your wife. Ok? But, one night...out with the boys...yada yada...and the deed is done. I admit I fucked up, feel bad about it yada yada yada. Joe routinely cheats on his wife, thinks nothing of it. Hey, Allah said I could it, what the hell are you talking about 'wrong'?

No difference, according to you?

"[What people say is more important than what they do.] "

That's not what I said and if it's what you thought I said I'm telling you you're wrong.

What people believe needs to be taken into consideration when evaluating their behavior.

#39     Apr 20, 2004
  10. Babak

Babak

You guys do remember that it was just last year a Muslim cleric was sentenced in Spanish court after he authored a book in Spain in which he instructed his brethren not only to beat their wives but exactly how to do it so as to evade the unavoidable public scrutiny a husband may come under where his wife to go grocery shopping with a black eye.

#40     Apr 20, 2004