Islam and Wife Beatings?

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by ShoeshineBoy, Apr 18, 2004.

1. I agree that worldnetdaily would be biased towards Islam but the great majority of what Reardan wrote is just solid research that has nothing to do with "wnd" (as it affectionatly calls itself)...

#11     Apr 18, 2004
  2. after reading this... I'm definitely going to become a Muslim. "Allah" knows where it's at ... ;) Does Allah say anything about doing it from behind? :confused:

to

#12     Apr 18, 2004
  3. There's a lot of major assumptions in what you say here. I know from previous posts that you enjoy assuming that all religions and religious writings to be primitive and man-contrived at their core. These are assumptions that are unprovable by you and could easily be false.

History has taken many fascinating turns in the last few centuries that leave standard, liberal "white bread" materialism seriously wanting in explanations imo...

#13     Apr 18, 2004

4. Major assumptions? Like what?

** "Rearden, I know man, more than a few skeletons in Islam's closet. "

Is that a major assumption? Um, no.

** "Thing is, as much as we might wish it to, that religion isn't just gonna disappear into thin air."

"We" as in Rearden and I; a major assumption? Um, no.

** "Only hope is to reform it."

Major "assumption"? Um, no. (It's an opinion.)

** " I mean, Jews had their reform movement, which I think was a good thing."

Fact and opinion. No "major assumption".

** "Islam desperately needs its own. "

Opinion.

"One thing which kinda makes it tough, as I've said before, is that the Koran is supposed to the verbatim transcript of God talking. "

Fact.

"So it's a lot harder to 're-interpret' than, for example, the bible (which was written by "fallible men")."

A rather obvious conclusion to reach, wouldn't you say? (Or do you actually believe the Koran is a verbatim account of Allah's word?)

**"Still, there are signs of it happening, which is encouraging." "
    **"What would really accelerate the process is if arabs got their economies motoring along."
    **" There's a lot less time to spend hating and being a religious bigot when there's money to be made. "

Opinion, opinion, opinion. What "major assumptions" did I make?

If it makes you feel better Shoeshine (and I hope it does), I do take back much of what I said in those religion threads. Propagating my general views on religion isn't part of my agenda in recent threads I've taken part in.

#14     Apr 18, 2004
  5. rgelite

rgelite

No human organism, of any faith and especially children, reacts with pleasure to this. To suggest otherwise is despicable.

You are on my Ignore List.

#15     Apr 18, 2004
  6. Gotcha. I misinterpreted what you were saying. I thought you were "propagating" as you put it...Nevermind...

#16     Apr 18, 2004
  7. Here is a great article on the desperate situation of many Islamic women in the Afgan/Pakistan/Indian region including forced marriages to first cousins, killings, rapings, degenerately born children, etc., etc.

http://www.city-journal.org/html/14_2_when_islam.html

I think I'll go outside and kiss some good 'ol U.S. of A soil...

#17     Apr 19, 2004
  8. I lived in Cairo for two years as a teenager. My mother had an Egyptian woman friend, a Muslim.

One day I hear this frantic pounding on our door, and when I open it here's this woman with blood streaming down her face. Her husband had beaten her with one of her shoes until the heel broke off on her scalp.

We found out that he beat her regularly and brutally. He was in the military or a policeman, I forget which. She lived in a constant state of fear. My father went down to the police station and talked to the commandant, who had little empathy for a westerner lecturing him about women's rights.

Shortly after that incident, my mother lost all contact with her friend. To my mother's grief, we never found out what happened to her.

Now, I don't know if this particular case was a Muslim thing or an Egyptian thing or even an Arab thing. I do know that we heard of many incidents of Egyptian women being beaten and treated as no better than livestock.

Women are definitely abused in our country and other non-Muslim countries, but, generally speaking, it appears that women in the West have a much better time of it than their Arab counterparts, and from what I understand, Indian as well.

#18     Apr 19, 2004
  9. Sick! I'd like to put a few of these guys in a ring with Mike Tyson or toss then into the middle of Ryker's buck naked...

#19     Apr 19, 2004
  10. I bet there is a lot crazy sex going on too..

#20     Apr 19, 2004