Is welfare pointless

Discussion in 'Economics' started by morganist, Jul 8, 2011.

1. This is kinship foster care and judges often prefer this route as opposed to other state run options.

"$1500 per child per month in Illinois." works out to about 2$ an hour. It wouldn't surprise me if it costs the state to run a group home in excess of 75$ an hour. Although the entire system is whack it's politcs again and money, kids are the byproduct.

#51     Jul 8, 2011

2. Ways to react to poverty in increasing order of liberalism:

1.) Centrally planned extermination. Few people can stomach even the idea of this, let alone an actual implementation. Furthermore, this method often fails due to natural scope creep and because the planners are never objective.

2.) Send them off to war. It has less political and operational vulnerability than option #1. Leaders could absolve themselves of blame (less true nowadays), and many poor people would "self-select" in the form of enlisting due to no other prospects in life. Upper castes in society would sometimes be present military forces too, but never as cannon fodder. This doesn't work well anymore due to lots of anti-war sentiment and that most wars aren't fought in the old ways anymore.

3.) Chattel slavery. Everybody has a place, and gets to eat. Universally considered almost as bad as option #1.

4.) Do nothing. This is a form of natural selection / meritocracy. People live or die by their own abilities. Those without the brains and ambition to make it in real life, might have a better chance as criminals. They will cannibalize each other primarily but sometimes become a nuisance to the castes above them. Those that can't even be successful at crime, get arrested (and either killed or at least removed from gene pool) or they starve to death in streets. Modern conservatives seem to push for this option knowing that options #1-#3 stand no chance in hell. Liberals appear to believe that this is a case of "Just World Fallacy".

5.) Do active harm that exacerbates the problem. Create numerous entitlement programs to such extremes as to reward failure, irresponsibility, and bad decision making. Additionally remove any positive effect that might come from implementation of option #4 by scaling back death penalty, expanding criminals' rights, and creating homeless shelters. We (human beings) have been doing option #5 for quite a while now and making true many of the so-called wild exaggerations of years ago.

Don't be *too* eager to succeed at any of the above methods.

1.) Humans will always have something that counts of "poverty." Today's middle class would be tomorrows poverty class. Today's go-getters would be tomorrows middle class. Today's ruthless ultra go-getters would be tomorrow's run-of-the-mill go-getters.

2.) The have-nots are nearly indestructible, fertile, and long-lived compared to today's upper class who have all kinds of food allergies, auto immune disease, fertility problems, insomnia, chronic fatigue, etc. Some of it can be discounted as hypochondriac BS, but lots of genuine frailty exists.

#52     Jul 8, 2011
  3. Regardless of how much welfare you give to corporate America in the form of tax breaks and deregulation, they will still downsize at will, ship jobs to cheap labor overseas, freeze wages and cut benefits for those still working. So yes, welfare is pointless.

#53     Jul 8, 2011
  4. it appears that Morganist has no children either.

#54     Jul 8, 2011
  5. 'I hate my babies and my older children are animals,' says Octomom Nadya Suleman

By Daily Mail Reporter

Last updated at 8:04 PM on 1st July 2011

A WOMAN who gave birth to octuplets after fertility treatment says she hates her ‘disgusting’ babies.

Nadya Suleman, an American single mother who lives on state benefits, also said that her six older children were animals.

Her outburst will add to long-standing concerns about her ability to look after her huge family.
    Love lost? Octomom's Nadya Suleman says that she 'hates' her eight babies and has called her older six children 'animals'

Love lost? Octomom's Nadya Suleman says that she 'hates' her eight babies and has called her older six children 'animals'

The octuplets are now two, while the older children are all under ten.

All 14 were born through IVF and three of them are said to have disabilities.

Miss Suleman, 36, who lives in a dilapidated home in La Habra, California, said: ‘I hate the babies, they disgust me.

‘My older six are animals, getting more and more out of control, because I have no time to properly discipline them.’

Miss Suleman claimed her dream of having a big family has turned into a nightmare. She said she was so poor that she had even contemplated suicide.
    Having a break? Suleman was seen today without her brood leaving the Howard Stern studios in New York City

Having a break? Suleman was seen today without her brood leaving the Howard Stern studios in New York City

'The only way I can cope is to lock myself in the bathroom and cry. Sometimes I sit there for hours and even eat my lunch sitting on the toilet floor. Anything to get peace and quiet,' she said.

The reality TV mother has even considered suicide.

'Some days I have thought about killing myself. I cannot cope,' she said.
    Looking pleased: The mother-of-fourteen had a sly grin on her face as she left the Manhattan studios

Looking pleased: The mother-of-fourteen had a sly grin on her face as she left the Manhattan studios

‘My bank account is overdrawn by $300 (£186) and I have no money to pay for the children’s school, food, or the mortgage,’ she told InTouch magazine.

‘The only way I can cope is to lock myself in the bathroom and cry.

‘Sometimes I sit there for hours and even eat my lunch sitting on the toilet floor – anything to get peace and quiet. Some days I have thoughts about killing myself. I cannot cope.

‘Obviously I love them, but I absolutely wish I had not had them.’
    Struggling: Suleman says that her dream of having a big family has now turned into her worst nightmare as she struggles to take care of her huge brood

Struggling: Suleman says that her dream of having a big family has now turned into her worst nightmare as she struggles to take care of her huge brood

Miss Suleman became internationally famous when she gave birth to her eight babies – two daughters and six sons – in January 2009 after conceiving them through in vitro fertilisation.
    Broke: Suleman says she hasn't got a penny to her name and cannot even effort to put food on the table

Broke: Suleman says she hasn't got a penny to her name and cannot even effort to put food on the table

Noah, Isaiah, Nariyah, Josiah, Jeremiah, Jonah, Maliyah and Makai are only the second full set of octuplets to be born alive in the U.S. – and not all of the previous set survived longer than the first week.

But public opinion rapidly turned against the woman the U.S. media nicknamed Octomum, after it emerged that she had six other young children, no partner and was receiving welfare benefits.

She even received a number of death threats. All 14 of her offspring are said to have the same sperm-donor father.

#55     Jul 8, 2011
  6. Eight

Eight

The Left says that "poverty causes sin", lets wipe out poverty", the Right says "sin causes poverty, let the sinners suffer and spare us the pain"... the Bible says "there are two places that the Devil is very busy, among the poor and among the wealthy". It doesn't really state a cause and effect between poverty and sin, it just tells what we can expect...

Clearly, the Great Society programs have done nearly nothing to end poverty in the US. There is plenty of it, moreso every day in fact as we labor under the burdens of ever increasing taxes.. but there is no exit strategy for the Welfare State.. somebody tell me what the exit strategy is for this ridiculously failed effort? While we were implementing it Soviet Russia that already had it in place was completely failing... the decline and fall of the Russian Empire didn't faze Liberals though... "Power to the People" and all that forever I guess....

#56     Jul 8, 2011
  7. If you want to be taken seriously, you might want to actually know the distinction between a liberal and a communist. In fact, during the Soviet revolution, the russian liberals opposed fiercely the communists and were ones of the first to sound the alarm bells. They were both however, political opposition groups to the Tsar.

#57     Jul 8, 2011
  8. Eight

Eight

It's all the same giant theft thingy to me: "Let's share all the wealth and give me some while you're at it". Theft as a social program is just not cutting it worldwide. None of them can make their dreaded payments on the debt they incurred and in the US of A at least, there is no possible way they can pay out on all that they have promised... in fact, Obama, [the "true representative of the people" ] is scheming ways to calculate inflation yet another even more f%^ked up way and reduce social security!! Let's hear it for the slow death of thieves as they fight to keep the last remaining cookie in their krappy household...

I was being bullied by some woman that was from the Saul Alinsky school of politics a couple of years ago... I decided that if she could use the political system to steal my money and give it to her friends I was entitled to do the same to her. I sued her, shut down most of her income in the process and really, it was a mirror image of what she is doing to everybody and it worked...

Payback's a bitch, why split hairs about which form of theft one is signing up for, thieves don't prosper typically and we can see that on a worldwide scale if we just open our eyes and take a gander...

#58     Jul 9, 2011
  9. dtan1e

dtan1e

considering that wealth distribution is like 90 95% concentrated in the hands of 5% sort of, to think there are people that plans gov't policies try to think of more ways to screw the poor, its just revolting. true, there r some poor that abuse the system but exactly how much can they scrap out? the rich don't exactly play fair either and what one rich person get away with is probably more than all the poor add up. most gov't hasn't got the gumption to target the 95% so they end up bullying the 5% share and guess what of course they not going to get much out

#59     Jul 9, 2011
  10. My philosophy is simple. DOo what's right for the earth and everything will take care of it's self.

I'm pro sex, pro procreation and especially pro teenage pregnacy.

Now me myself, I have no attraction to young women (too many problems) I'm kind of a mature woman guy, but the problem isn't teenage pregnancys and too many children.

The problem is society has drifted so far away from the natural order of things that what should come naturally (like sex) is now no longer socially and econmically acceptable.

LIke in Nigeria where these poor people couldn't even afford shoes! So Texeco moved in and poluted their traditional fishing rivers and gave then jobs and said, "Look! Now they can afford shoes."

To which the fisherman replied, "Yeah, but before you came here we didn't need shoes."

#60     Jul 9, 2011