Is voting just for old people?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Maverick74, Feb 25, 2004.

1. cdbern

cdbern

Cathy........

Tell Bob its way to early to throw in the towel. Bush has taken a beating for sure, but it's only February. Its a long time to November. Anything can happen between now and then. One of the last things a candidate wants to do is peak to early.

I've worked on several campaigns and managed a few. Served on the Democratic National Committee, served as State Vice Chairwoman plus every other leadership position at a State level. Been a political consultant and lobbyist. So while I appreciate Bob feeling he sees the handwriting on the wall, trust me, its way to early.

As for Hillary. The woman is down right scary. Power hungry doesn't come close to describing her.

#11     Feb 25, 2004
  2. Bush institutes a draft? Not even remotely possible. Why? The people who finance campaigns have children. These days only WalMart shoppers kids go in the military. The rich will not want to see that changed. Also, the draft was THE major reason for the antiwar movement. All those privileged kids facing the draft and combat suddenly got very moralistic about the US fighting communism.

Will Bush be reelected? As cd says, it's way too early. He's made it a lot closer race than it should have been and that's not a good thing. He doesn't have his base either, which can be fatal. Personally, I don't think Kerry will appeal to a nationwide audience. He is pompous and his essential phoniness will become more apparent as the race goes on. Also, I predict the mistress story is not over yet. He took a very big risk in seemingly denying it. Ask Gary Hart how that can end your career.

Hillary as VP? Not a chance. She had more power than that. No way she settles, and no way Kerry would have her on the ticket. She wouldn't add one voter, but her nuclear negatives would energize and cement Bush's shaky base.

A convention draft? Very very long shot. First Kerry would have to blow up, which could happen via the mistress scandal. But what about Edwards? Would he graciously step aside or settle for a VP nomination? Would she even want it? Why run a badly prepared, 11th hour campaign against an incumbent, when she can wait four years and run against whomever?

#12     Feb 25, 2004
  3. Isn't Bush's ace in the hole.....Bin Laden's capture?

Michael B.

#13     Mar 4, 2004
  4. Fortunately for you and for us all, you are quite mistaken about this.

Peace,
    :)RS

#14     Mar 4, 2004
  5. What? You don't shop at WalMart?

Seriously, you know what I mean and you know I'm right. Let me turn it around. How many kids of Senators, federal judges, big city law firm partners, investment bank partners, CEO's, university professors and media personalities go into the military? I'll bet a higher percentage are practicing homosexuals.

The military used to be a true cross section of America. These days it's largely a cross section of "red states" America, minorities and low income whites.

#15     Mar 4, 2004
  6. ElCubano

ElCubano

you got that right..... but it is thru choice. And in some cases a great choice they made ( unless of course you get shipped off to a senseless WAR )

#16     Mar 4, 2004