Is volume analysis useful in index futures?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Laissez Faire, Dec 22, 2017.

1. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

:wtf:
    Cracks me up.
    :D

#121     Dec 24, 2017
  2. Xela

Xela

This is the exact point where we disagree. Your premise seems to be that anyone whose experience leads them to a different belief-set from your own is, by definition, "just wrong".

#122     Dec 24, 2017
    lcranston likes this.
  3. polaris

polaris

#123     Dec 24, 2017
  4. Nope. That's not what I said at all.

I say, "volume considerations are at best coincident... at worst, encourages erroneous trading decisions.".

The way YOU use volume (as a "bar filler"... a substitute for time) doesn't apply to this discussion. I get it that "you use volumetric bars, you're successful, therefore volume is worthwhile... but this thread is not about how you use volume.

The conventional wisdom on volume... "after considering price info, some factoring-in of volume is beneficial in making a decision as to buy/sell/hold." I say it correctly is not.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    #124     Dec 24, 2017
  5. eurusdzn

eurusdzn

Net volume at consolidation price is low and time spent at consolidation price is relatively short .
    This is good.

#125     Dec 24, 2017
  6. If relevant, you'd get the same info from price alone (whatever "net volume" is?).

#126     Dec 24, 2017
  7. lcranston

lcranston

"Absorption" does apply to the ability of buyers to absorb supply and sellers to absorb demand, but it also applies to the dynamics of accumulation and distribution. But this thread isn't about any of that so I used "digestion" in order to avoid getting into a lengthy explanation of something that may be of no interest. One could also use the term "ranging".

#127     Dec 24, 2017
    polaris likes this.
  8. eurusdzn

eurusdzn

I meant a market profile view of Volume at Price ......more typical is the Time at Price profile.
    I will come up with a chart example and post it.

#128     Dec 24, 2017
  9. If you're talking about "high volume at certain prices in the profile", I understand what that means. If I get your meaning, it is also irrelevant.

#129     Dec 24, 2017
  10. Arguing trading is like arguing religion. (Good idea to avoid both)

I hear a lot of gum flapping, but I don't see any proof or examples....

#130     Dec 24, 2017
    Gotcha likes this.