Is Vanna relevant when Gamma scalping?

Discussion in 'Options' started by TskTsk, Jan 30, 2012.

1. TskTsk

TskTsk

As you know, the P/L from a gamma scalp is 0.5*gamma*S^2 (where S is spot movement). However isn't delta affected by other factors such as Vanna, thus isn't the formula useless for predicting P/L per scalp (because it only takes gamma into account)?

2. Link to the proof?

PS: why a different handle?

3. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

It's small unless you are running a very levered skew book.

4. TskTsk

TskTsk

Alright thanks

Dont have any proof, it's a formula I picked up on the NP forums. I've seen it used elsewhere as well so I just assume its correct.

5. jsp326

jsp326

Only when she's drunkenly flipping letters on a game show.

6. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Ignore TradingJournals. He knows little of what he speaks.
    What is the NP forum?

7. sle

sle

The delta component would be small. The mtm component dVega/dSpot can put you in sufficient amount of pain, but I assume you are calculating as if you are holding it to expiry.

8. NucPhy (Nuclear Phynance)...

And yes, the formula is a correct quick 'n dirty one, but, like all such formulae, it's an approximation. It's obtained simply from the Taylor series expansion, by discarding higher-order terms, because they're assumed to be less significant.

9. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

but even that would generally be small compared to dC/dsigma unless you were hedge in vega.

Assuming you don't have something crazy convex or a huge move in vol.

10. TskTsk

TskTsk

What I'm looking for is basically a way to calculate P/L per scalp when you're long gamma and continuously hedging delta. As far as I understood, 0.5*gamma*S^2 is ~accurate, but I fear there are other factors at play that may influence my P/L per scalp, so my question is what would these other values be? I understand vanna is negligible...and I disregard any IV movement as I hold until expiry.

#10     Jan 30, 2012