Is using as many as possible timeframes for same market advantageous?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by orbit23, Jul 2, 2020.

1. orbit23

orbit23

So basically i only trade the patterns in the price.

I have a screen with 6 charts. Timeframes i use regularly are 5min, 15min, 30min, 1H, 4H and 1D. If volatility appears, i use lower TF.

But sometimes for example there will be a pattern or level visible on the 2H chart, that i would not visually recognize with my timeframes and i would not enter the trade.

So i am wondering whether would it be advantageous to add another screen with 2H, 3H, 6H, 8H, 12H timeframes.

Would more timeframes for a single market provide better overview?
    Can anyone speak from personal experience? Any suggestions? Is it worth experimenting?

2. dartmus

dartmus

you just gave away a farm, but since I know every inch of it, .. in my heart

breath

eee

it's alwasy worth experimenting, or you will never become self-updating. The algo u describe or at least my bigger picture view of my own meta reads, not that bs where I have timee t o care who u are, other htan who i am,

wthin my food chain, as I strengthen my ablility to visually create 1 since I haven't tried this before, it's like I said above, but you couldn't read, between my thoughts,

i think it's an exceelent path for everyone to be on.

3. dartmus

dartmus

[f,p][n,n whatever case appears] [ , , , , } ... you seem intent on following this to some level you've never attained yet, so of course, [you have you're own support, for this, and any, other dim, as they are not the ones re-p0pbulating them, in a world where the more conufsion

edit: sorry for the confusion above, false, postives, negatives, true(for the same set of condtions or data), the usual attempts to sort logically the complexities and be comfortable within that realm, are important.

the op orbit 123 or whoever said it best

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  4. Insightful question but at some point you have to make the trade and give it some room to play out! With the exception of the 5-minute, I use the time periods you indicated that you use, although each has its own place and role in my approach. While I could recognize some patterns on some of the other time frames you mentioned, it became data overload for me so I decided not to include them. You might be able to process all of that information but I found it to be too much. Best wishes!

5. maxinger

maxinger

the more time frame charts you use, the more confusing and redundant it is.
    more charts doesn't equate to more profits

1 to 3 time frame charts should suffice for day trading.

I use volume charts.
    so 1 to 3 volume charts should suffice.

eg for Eur futures, I just use one chart ( 400 volume chart ).
    for index futures, 2 to 3 volume charts should suffice.

Turveyd likes this.
  6. oshjdf

oshjdf

I use 3 intraday timeframes (5/10/15) at most and usually just 1 timeframe (15) because I am lazy to monitor chart continuously.

If your methodology gives you more visibility of the price structure when adding more timeframes, then why not? But you have to question what it cost you to add more timeframes. For example confusion, freedom to go to toilet.
    How do you define volatility appear?

7. easymon1

easymon1

Depends on the day, market conditions, and your mindspace. Setups that almost trigger on a 2m, Will sometimes trigger on a 3m or 1m version. 5m might be slammed right up against a moving average resistance level that the 1m doesn't make obvious and lends itself to a springboard or resistance on a 5m depending on the situation and on and on.

If you have the bandwidth to process your table, and you feel like it then put on another plate. If you are getting jumpy and scattered, may be too many spinning plates in play, let one drop.

Alternately, the steady focus of a determined trader on a specific chart and timeframe can enable the use of a broader spectrum of price action techniques n indicators toward a fine result too. It's all good.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  8. heispark

heispark

Not necessarily.

9. AbbotAle

AbbotAle

You're better off splitting them up and then trading the same patterns using just 2 time-frames. so 5-15, 30-60, 120-240 etc. However, I always prefer 3 timeframes higher so 1-3, 5-15, 20-60, 60-180 and so on. Even 1D-3D is good.

Using too many timeframes is a) hard on the brain, and b) there's always going to be a timeframe that gives you doubt, for example you get a trade on the 20-60 but the 240 says no.

But with the 5-15 you get a trade, take it.

Then on another screen for say the 60-180 you get another trade, take it.

Same with 6 screens (not saying you have them), too much action for the brain to take in, use 2-3 max. 6 screens are only good for say a broker that needs that much information because his clients might be all different.

10. Turveyd

Turveyd

Stick to 1 per item, the fastest 1 you can trade, you'll not go crazy as soon.

#10     Jul 3, 2020