Is TS reliable with multiple strategies?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by DT-waw, Jun 5, 2010.

1. DT-waw

DT-waw

I'd like to automate 20-50 trading systems using TradeStation.

Does anyone know whether this software is able to efficiently handle such amount? Intervals are mostly 5 min to 60 min.

2. Even if the program can handle that eventually what will determine performance is the type of orders you are generating. If your systems generate multiple market orders in multiple time frames and you have delays in getting the data you will end up with large slippage. I have met several people who tried to implement this type of multiple intraday strategies and all falied royally. It sounds good in theory and in principle but in practice there are many issues to consider. Don't mean to try to discourage you but after 20 years of heavy trading I still have problems with automating properly a swing trading system. I do not even think of automating 50 intraday systems. This large number of systems requires some type of collocation to be effective. It all depends though on the frequency and type of orders. If you are buying/selling breakouts on a stop or buying/selling corrections on a limit things maybe be easier and the impact of delays minimum.

3. DT-waw

DT-waw

Thanks for your input. Alternatively, there's a possibility to merge few strategies into a single one - scale-in and scale-out. I guess TS won't be able to function with 30 charts running at the same time even with plenty of RAM...

4. zastro

zastro

The answer is it depends: Computer Speed, Memory, Reliable connection, how many trades per minute?

5. Yes... totally possible and very effcient for the time frames you mention, but, you need to put in some serious effort to learn RadarScreen and EasyLanguage, i.e. do not use chart based automation...

I've been running about 18 different systems soley on TS, 90% intraday, with automated signal generation via TS on a variety of portfolios ranging from 800 to 1.2k symbols combined. I average between 60-100 signals per day. I send all orders IB via an order management system implemented in propreitary software.... its a lot of work, but, the real time data from TS is good and its the reason I use it for intraday order gen.

Amibroker can do similar things, but, getting a solid datafeed into AB has proven difficult for me.

6. Again with the generalizations bill... He *clearly* stated 5-60 minutes as a time frame. Most all retail platforms can handle that with little problems.

Colocation? This isn't an HFT question...

After 20 years and you're still having issues? Sounds like the problem is behind the keyboard...

Mike

7. danzman

danzman

Shouldn't be a problem for TS even on a moderate computer. I'm running about 20 systems from tick charts to daily bars. Mostly on ES though.

8. DT-waw

DT-waw

Thanks for your help! Since i don't do high freq. and don't care about 1 sec delays so TS should work fine...

9. Why not running a bunch of computers and run 10 systems on each?