Is trading that hard? Or are people that stupid?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by CaptnDustball, Feb 17, 2008.

1. That's a great post.

Thank you.

#41     Feb 17, 2008
  2. Call it backtesting, call it a chart -- the certainty of the past is a false comfort, because comfort itself is the siren of certain doom.

The real key to success is the ability, after finding a hundred reasons to go long a stock, to short it instead without hesitation if that's where the profit lies. Always ask yourself to do what is most uncomfortable, day in and day out, and over time you must come out ahead.

#42     Feb 17, 2008
  3. ... by your logic if a kid isn't walking after a certain time well then their going to be a cripple all their life or if they aren't talking after a certan time well then they're going to be a deaf/mute.

Bullshit.

#43     Feb 18, 2008
  4. (snip) "Call it backtesting, call it a chart -- the certainty of the past is a false comfort, because comfort itself is the siren of certain doom."

Amen to that

#44     Feb 18, 2008
  5. Agreed, Marcel Link comes to mind right away.

#45     Feb 18, 2008
  6. Successful trading is very similar to the end of the movie "The Matrix".

When Neo finally realizes he is "The One" he can see through the Matrix and a whole new door of opportunities opens up for him.

Very similar in trading, when you "get it" you will get a similar feeling and it will be so clear you won't doubt this the way you did before you "got it"

Anek

#46     Feb 18, 2008
  7. Look my friend. I am talking about being on the table for 40 years! You have to spot all suckers following your logic. Many times you will be the sucker, that is a certainty, and you have to account for many such cases. You are talking about a half hour, I am talking about 40 years. That is what success means. There at that old table, seen many suckers including oneself, and have no problem being a sucker from time to time as long as in the long run one is one of the 20% who are financed by the suckers.

#47     Feb 18, 2008

8. It is just based on my time in the market. You are a fool, and a clueless fool. You get your bank account over 7 figs and we can talk little boy.

#48     Feb 18, 2008
  9. LOL ... :D

yeah ... RIGHT!

#49     Feb 18, 2008
  10. I certainly hope my trading doesn't end up like The Matrix. Cause then in the 2nd and 3rd phases of my career I will absolutely suck. ;)

So let me try to gleam some wisdom from all of you. Are you really playing against other people here? Or are you playing against the market? Which should you pay more attention to?

Because if I'm playing against people, then I'm going to try to outthink them. But if I'm playing against the market, I will apply logic to that line of attack. It seems like the two require different approaches. Can somebody enlighten me on this?

#50     Feb 18, 2008