Is Trading Right for Me or Should I Stick with Poker?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by The Tripster, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Haha you just described what I hated about working in Real Estate 2 years back and described me the way my friends would. God I was born for this shit.

#41     Dec 8, 2008
  2. You don't have a choice.

Other poker players do though.

#42     Dec 8, 2008
  3. ElCubano

ElCubano

Poker offers a place to put up $10k and walk out with $9million.....

#43     Dec 8, 2008
  4. Im one of the top ranked online players and have had a great year but I will be the first to admit that its such a boring grind. Trading is much more interesting imo and has enormous potential to the upside if you are successful and have that fire. I dedicated the last couple years to being one of the best mtt players online and it has totally burned me out...now i look forward to trading full time and keeping poker on the side as a hobby.
    I plan on still playing a full slate at the wsop and some of the bigger online series events but thats it.
    I would highly consider taking it up with a top tier firm and giving it at least a year if you have offers. Poker will always be around.

gl

#44     Dec 8, 2008
  5. I'm also a successful online cash game player. I'm graduating this May and I already accepted an offer at a trading company in Chicago.

Poker is damn boring and if you're grinding cash games, you won't easily have 7 figure years.. especially with the games getting tougher and tougher. But if you're trading at one of these firms, in a few years you could be easily making 7-8 figures a year if you are a top trader at the firm.

Plus, you've made enough to be comfortable for a few years. Let me know what you decide to do. It would be interesting if we worked at the same firm.

#45     Dec 14, 2008
  6. Joab

Joab

^^^^

Welcome to the forum guys and I'm sure your skills will "help" you as traders.

A little advise for you both.

Use this forum for networking yourselves into a top tier prop firm and nothing else.

Pay careful attention to posts by Dustin, Reardon Metal and uptick.

Be very careful about all the other advise you get from ET as well intended as it may sound.

:cool:

#46     Dec 15, 2008
  7. monti1a

monti1a

Trading and poker are not mutually exclusive.....

Why don't you play poker full-time and focus on trading market moves that occur on daily or weekly charts...at least until you get the knack for trading.

#47     Dec 15, 2008

8. congrats on the headlines!

:D

#48     Dec 18, 2008
  9. trading and playing poker for a career is like going long equities and short gold. you think you're hedging yourself with two jobs when in fact, you can lose your shirt and pants at the same time.

instead, trade during the day and clean hotels at nights. buy mgm, short clne

#49     Dec 18, 2008
  10. It's def. possible for me to do this, but the main point I was making is how I'd be working for a firm and not on my own. If I were just to play poker, I would trade and play poker at the same time. I think I have ADD and can focus on a million things at once and still understand exactly what I'm doing.

I still haven't decided exactly what I'm doing yet. I have a final round interview at a top firm in a week, and based on the info I have, I'd prob accept it. I turned down 2 other offers. One of them had horrible hours (3am-1pm) and the other one I was going to accept until I heard from a friend that considered investing money in the firm has real tight risk paramenters and their retention rate is pretty bad. It also seemed their profit split was pretty bad (less than 50%, but with a small base). I still have an offer at a "value added" hedge fund that I worked at last year that has done extremely well during these crazy times.

#50     Dec 23, 2008