Is trading really risky?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by 0008, Dec 3, 2002.

1. bone

bone

Had on a monster curve position when a Fed officer started flapping his yap during a luncheon.

#41     Dec 4, 2002
  2. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

You poor things. Wow.

On 9-11, I was fully invested overnight. I got creamed when the markets reopened.
    I made a little on INVN though because of it. Too bad I did not put the whole wad of cash into that one. Took off like a rocket!
    I gave up overnight trades because of that and learned to day trade. Never again.

#42     Dec 4, 2002
  3. Keeps life interesting tho.

#43     Dec 4, 2002
  4. sempai

sempai

No, trading isn't risky. It's quite easy, and fun too, not to mention extremely lucrative.

I recommend trading for anyone who wants to work part-time and make lots of money by just sitting in front of a computer and pressing a few buttons now and then.

#44     Dec 4, 2002
  5. prox

prox

The risk in trading is from losing your capital while trying to overcome your learning and psychological curve. 95% of people quit or go broke before they overcome it.

Once you've learned it, day trading is relatively low risk.

#45     Dec 4, 2002
  6. ElCubano

ElCubano

risks associated with trading are not only from losing your capital, but there is also opportunity risks.....U could be at this for years not lose a dime and still have risked alot ( years of earning power)......peace...

p.s. oh and there is always a big fat chance that you lose your money also....

#46     Dec 4, 2002
  7. I have been self-employed for over 25 years, and during this time I have seen other businesses come and go. It's true that it is hard to get a business up and running, especially during the first two years-- that was when I came close to closing the doors for good. But, without question, I would have to say that poor management is the thing that causes most businesses to fail.

I haven't been trading as long as I've been in business, but I have found that good management is extremely important in trading.

Most business ventures are risky; that's why entrepreneurs are called risk takers. But the thing that makes one more successful than another is the ability to manage risk. Without that ability, you will eventually fall prey to fear, and fear will eventually lead to failure.

As far as a business or trading being more risky than the other; I don’t think there is any difference.

#47     Dec 4, 2002
  8. Thanks... So I gather that you wanted to expel your little boredom by sharing your Webster resources with the rest of ET community. I guess, that could possibly qualify as generous, so thank you. However, when you start thinking (quoting Webster does not qualify as much of thinking, at least to me) you will understand that there is a much better reason why in some forms of trading being altruistic is not a very good idea, to put it mildly. Take futures (or options): it's a zero sum game, so being altruistic means being a sucker. I guess, the word 'sucker' should also be in your Webster, so I will not bother to define it here for you. Plus, I am not that bored either, ergo (see your Webster for that) have nothing to expel...

#48     Dec 4, 2002
  9. I will present a little 'lecture' on that because surprisingly enough this thing is still little understood and I even got some PMs from people asking me to elaborate on that. The thing is, it is really so simple that I never bothered to talk much about it, but kept mentioning it whenever it was an opportunity to benefit from this phenomenon, just to ilustrate my point. Plus how much can you talk about simple things? If you really need to talk a lot they are not simple. OK, I will do it by this weekend, have more urgent things to do now. I will call that '61.8 % FR within the first 30 min bar'. Look for something like that by this weekend.

#49     Dec 4, 2002