Is trading really risky?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by 0008, Dec 3, 2002.

1. 0008

Statistics shows 95% of people who start a business will fail. Only 10% of companys that supported by venture capital will survive and less than 3% will be listed in Nasdaq or other stock markets. It seems trading isn't more risky than running business or VC. But in general, many people still perfer business. Any idea?

IMO, risk control in trading is much easier than that in business.

2. BSAM

BSAM

You're really kidding, right?:confused:

3. Depends ...

4. You are right, risk control is easy in trading. In fact, you should not be trading if you don't know your risk and reward. There are easy techniques that tell how much you should risk both when it comes to a particular setup and to managing your money in general.

5. Doh!

The 95% statistic of business failures includes wealthy people who have businesses that are intended to fail for tax loss purposes, poor people who have lawn care businesses, and the really stupid people who get involved with multi level marketing at home based businesses.

Why don't you compare those who invest 25K or more in a proven franchise business, and that statistical failure rate with trading?

You are lying with figures to justify trading not being risky.

6. ElCubano

ElCubano

Tell me one PROVEN franchise you can buy for 25k and then maybe we can answer your question.......As you tell Don Birght every so often,,,back the smack up with proof......:D

7. Well, past performance is no guarantee of future results, but I did look at franchises back 10 years ago or so.

At that time, you could buy vending machine routes with proven money streams for 25K.

I don't know what the cost would be now. People still drink sodas, and buy candy and chips, don't they?

I am not saying these small business "franchises" like the vending machine business are get rich deals, but they do produce steady streams....especially if you can hire some flunky to do the actual work (given that the flunky won't nickle and dime your profits).

Naturally, most name brand franchises are going to cost a lot more, but you would be surprised how some low tech, low profit meaningless businesses are out there that produce a small but steady stream of income.

As far as Don Bright goes, can I prove that he is a marketing machine who has a bottom line of new recruits for Bright Trading so that he can participate in the revenue stream from their commissions, and that he employs sales and marketing techniques to do so, and that he takes advantage of the Forum because he is a paying sponsor?

Can anyone prove intention? Reaching an idea about another's real intentions is a conclusion, not a provable fact.

I did ask Baron one time if Don pays for the space he takes up in the Forum, as in essence his posts are just ads for Bright Trading, and I never got an answer....which was enough of an answer for me to reach my own conclusions.

8. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

No riskier than you make it.
    If you do not like risk,
    bonds and T bills might be for you.
    If you are a daredevil,
    have I got a hot tip for you.
    Get out of the business while you still have your capital!

9. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

A collection of small little businesses equals a bigger business; you just need to be willing to take the time to build these and be involved in areas many folks would consider boring....

As for Don ... Well, why would anyone spend a lot of time here posting techniques etc unless they expected to somehow benefit ? I have yet to meet anyone who is purely altruistic in their postings on any forum. If folks give out truly valuable info or tools and identify themselves and their businesses then IMHO they are doing so to get some press: What is wrong with this ? Its how businesses work ....

10. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

:( :( :(
    I am sad you think everyone has ulterior motives.

#10     Dec 3, 2002