Is trading really hard work?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by hurricane_sh, Apr 27, 2019.

1. SmackSon

SmackSon

I won't say hard work is useless. It sure does contribute to success trading, especially when one do analyzing the risk and tracking the trades. But yes, it's important to have relaxed mind to give a good focus on trading with sound mental behavior.

#51     May 4, 2019
  2. WaxOn

WaxOn

To answer this question one must get some basics out of the way. First, your question seems rooted in labor, when capital cares less. Labor works for capital. Most of us come from a world where you show up for work and get paid. “Hard work” is a cultural value that has merit for those without capital and keep a country competitive. It is not a path to riches for most. You can work your butt off at a regular job but simply trading your life’s hours for a wage. Capital is about risk - not work. You could think that “hard work” in trading is a lot of thinking, studying, chart reading, and it *might be* for you, but not perhaps someone else. Some people would love to scalp 2 points on an /es at the open and be done. Some want to pretend they are smart snd take on all market risk all the time. Some have built algos and become billionaires. Capital doesnt give a shit. It wants to grow no matter if you trade from the seat of your pants in a zen garden while getting a naked massage, or you are holed up in a mad scientist underground trading bunker. Capital will never thank you or ask you if it was hard or easy. What are people doing? What have they done? Everything.

Having said that, solid risk adjusted returns are not easy for most but some just seem to have money falling from trees while others struggle to make a few ticks. Some fight the algos while others take positions overnight. Its a mixed bag, although the crowd does tend to huddle around similar strategies. Although “the crowd” is probabaly not where you should be.

What you see is what you see, how much work it takes is what it will take. It literally is like that, with 95% of people never able to crack it. Most everyone will get what they want out of the experience though. Whether that is a boring strategy for 30 minutes a day or 24/5 strategy that gives them the most excitement, to think they are smart, to make their father proud. Capital could really care less about any of that.

You can go your own way.

#52     May 4, 2019
    themickey likes this.
  3. padutrader

padutrader

yes it should be ...

but learning it there is a great deal of uncertainty and despair.....until one accepts the market

#53     May 4, 2019
  4. padutrader

padutrader

lovely write...only improvement i can suggest is to leave some white space between the lines

i am tempted to ask you your qualification because it is so wonderfully explained.

yes you can go your own way and that is why anybody who comes across trading just love to start it.You can really customize it like nothing else....you can tailor it to your financial emotional and time environment.

in fact those who succeed do that....i did that after failing for 12 years and succeeded or did much better.

Travel on your own road, not someone else's:that is what i learnt eventually

#54     May 4, 2019
  5. padutrader

padutrader

easier said then done but yes that is sound strategy.

#55     May 4, 2019
  6. padutrader

padutrader

very succinctly put
    my personal experience exactly

#56     May 4, 2019
  7. padutrader

padutrader

to trade 30 min a day you have to work 5 to 10 hours a day

#57     May 4, 2019
  8. padutrader

padutrader

this is a very popular conception.....

however the market reality is lot more complex:

you have trends of weak medium or strong.

you have ranging trends and trending ranges[channels for example.]

and of course a trend is one time frame may be a range in a higher time frame

#58     May 4, 2019
  9. WaxOn

WaxOn

I can show you people that do this and put little to no effort in. Not me though. There are some people who speedread textbooks, show up for a test and become valedictorians. Not me! Bottom line - dont worry about other people.

btw i started trading in 1991. Not contiguously. Lost heavily for 2 years until my emotions caught up with reality. I have a cousin that started at the same time as me and has been shitting money pretty much since then, for me it was like pulling teeth and inventing cold fusion until i started figuring ‘me’ out. (Lol it was a long journey...worked in i-banking in NYC and finally grew up)

#59     May 4, 2019
    themickey likes this.
  10. WaxOn

WaxOn

When you believe you DESERVE it and start believing you can, and you just might. Use leverage. Be smart. Get angry. If you dont take it guys like ken griffin will be happy buying more $250 million condos, Robert Mercer will be content finding the next Hitler to take over the country.

When you think about how observed particles behave differently than unobserved ones, and how they now believe two outcomes can exist at the same time (ie quantum computing implications) the world we live in may be less straightforward than you think. Most of us are comfortable living in the matrix due to extreme comfort.

Believe and make it happen, bottom line in trading as everything else.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ysics-experiment-research-study-a8833341.html

#60     May 4, 2019