Is trading really hard work?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by hurricane_sh, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Turveyd

Turveyd

I watch market and TV show / Film at the same time, and occasionally click on the Buy or Sell button, then the Close button when needed, so I'd say NOT!!!

#21     Apr 28, 2019
    bpr, yc47ib and slvrrisc like this.
  2. This doesn't mean trading isn't hard work. It means that most trading "work" is done during off hours to analyze problems, and develop discipline habits and rules. But I know what you mean. When I'm stuck in a slow trade, Youtube is my friend. No point of stressing over 1 minute price action.

To the OP: I agree with you mostly. I know a guy who trades from 9:30-10:15, and makes a full living. That's his wheel house, and it works for him.

#22     Apr 28, 2019
    yc47ib, slvrrisc and hurricane_sh like this.
  3. maxinger

maxinger

seems like you are odd one out.
    Well. If it works for you, do continue watching TV while trading.

If you go to trading houses, you can see ALL traders seriously concentrating on trading as trading is a serious business.
    Their eyes are totally glued to the computer screens.
    One or 2 traders might listen to music but that's only for a short while.
    because other traders don't like it.
    I am sure those who watch TV programs in trading houses will be beaten and bashed up badly as it is distracting.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    #23     Apr 28, 2019
    slvrrisc likes this.
  4. slvrrisc

slvrrisc

I don't see how trading, especially day trading can be a completely "relaxed and fun" activity. It can be "fun" with the high after a very positive trading session, but there is a worrying stress during the session and during the trades. Not the same exact stress as a regular office job, but can be still a very sharp physical stress of some lingering fear on the mind and often on the circulatory system with tight muscles, fast heartbeat etc. That said, if that kind of stress can be handled well enough with a positive trading expectancy most days, it can be a more free, easier type of "work", maybe more of an occupation.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    #24     Apr 28, 2019
    Onra and maxinger like this.
  5. maxinger

maxinger

You are right mister.
    mindfulness, Mind management / control, conscious thinking is very important in day trading.
    In fact, it is the prerequisite for day trading.

#25     Apr 28, 2019
  6. bln

bln

Depends on trading style. If you are trading systematically the hard work and time goes into discovering sources of alpha, R&D process, evaluation, etc.

Once the model is finished, the execution part is easy, one just put on the trade and go out fishing. The trade will take care of itself.. fire-and-forget

It's way different if you are trading using FA, TA, News like most people do. Then one have to put in the hard work continuously every day to come up with setups/trades to execute.

#26     Apr 29, 2019
    yc47ib likes this.
  7. vin2018

vin2018

Yes, trading is not as hard as it is being projected. As a trader myself, I find trading pretty easy job but to make profits from the same is something where I have been struggling. Trading is more like a smart job for me.

#27     Apr 29, 2019
  8. Wouldn't say it's the "hardest work in the world", but it takes some time and grey matter to figure out what you should be doing. It also takes great discipline to do it well... that includes "paying (close enough) attention". You'd be surprised how difficult that really is.

#28     Apr 29, 2019
  9. MACD

MACD

Depends on the Markets I am trading and what open positions I have. But Yes those hours are often used. I trade hedged so have a longer term position and then trade "against" those longer term positions with scalps or shorter term trades.

#29     Apr 29, 2019
    Maverick1 likes this.
  10. hurricane_sh,

You know. I can not answer this question, honestly. Because I am NOT a consistent profitable trader.

Has it been hard for me? Yes, because 3 years now and I am still trying to find my path to consistent profitable trading.

And the path I am on now may be wrong as well. Who knows. Just gotta keep on digging, analyzing, thinking, saving capital, learning learning and practice practice practice.

You see, it's about the path and being on the right course of action. For example, lets say you buy a trading course, you study and practice it, you ready and trade with real money and you lose $3000 of the bat. What will you do? Will you continue? What if you buy the course and still no trading method? What will you do? How do you know what to do? How do you know if what you are doing will make money?

All those questions you have to answer, and those questions may take days/weeks/months/years to find out. It all depends on where you go to find the answers.

Now you can answer your own question is it hard? There are no responses here saying its easy. I would focus on those questions up there if I were you. The number 1 questions is how do you know what you are doing will make money consistently.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    #30     Apr 29, 2019
    hurricane_sh likes this.