Is trading like gambling ??

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Frenchy, Nov 18, 2005.

1. THERUDEBOY

THERUDEBOY Guest

I don't know, why don't you ask God?

#21     Nov 19, 2005
  2. When I trade I do not "Gamble" now.

#22     Nov 19, 2005
  3. THERUDEBOY

THERUDEBOY Guest

You do.

#23     Nov 19, 2005
  4. absolutly, and I understand your point. and your are the first person to link that publically. I have tried for two years here in ET with many pointless threads to "winter and co".

#24     Nov 19, 2005
  5. You are mislead....no?

#25     Nov 19, 2005
  6. Let me give you an example of how trading can be 'Not Gambling" rather than just opinion, orientation or subjecture.

A Retail Spot Forex Pair is held in the Positive Interest Differential direction. You hold it and get paid interest daily. You are long.
    • It can go to zero, but you have sized your trades to sustain a margin call regardless, as you want to earn interest daily. (you could even use this to your advantage and average down)
    • The interest rates can change. (have you diversified with more than one pair?)
    • The country can crash and end its currency as Argentina did.
    • The World can end.

These issues are catastrophic and do not qualify as gambling. Gambling has unique attributes.

#26     Nov 19, 2005
  7. THERUDEBOY

THERUDEBOY Guest

Hello, ES. Does anybody know what the future holds, wether it is the near or distant? Evolution is probably a more appropriate word than gambling. Some of us evolve or adapt better to what the markets can throw at us, and our thoughts and actions about the markets can seem uncanny to the point where we do not think we are gambling anymore. Nevertheless, evolution itself can only act on the here and now. It knows nothing of the future. So my question is this. Are you above and beyond evolution?

#27     Nov 19, 2005
  8. I have stated an example....The word "gambling" is at question here, not me. But if it must be about me, then again, I do not gamble or approach trading that way. no, I am not lieing to myself either....

Michael B.

#28     Nov 19, 2005
  9. THERUDEBOY

THERUDEBOY Guest

Sorry, Michael. I did not mean to come across that way. I appologise if i have offended you. Right. If i put my money into an interest account, it's not really gambling, is it? What about things like leverage and futures and so on? As oppose to the non-volatile aspects of the markets? So, in that case, the word 'gambling' needs to be differentiated to the various markets and instruments. This may give a clearer picture to the perception of the word......gambling.

#29     Nov 19, 2005
  10. Actually in leverage I can remove ALL risk. ask me how....Careful, gnome had to buy me a beer...

#30     Nov 19, 2005