Is trading like gambling ??

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Frenchy, Nov 18, 2005.

1. 3 posts in a row? Are you talking to yourself?

#11     Nov 18, 2005
  2. Deptrai

Deptrai

Life is a gamble. We all gamble. We gamble when we get married knowing that half of all marriages end up in divorce. We gamble when we graduate knowing that when we get older we can get replaced by someone half our age for less pay.

Regards,

Deptrai

#12     Nov 18, 2005
  3. THERUDEBOY

THERUDEBOY Guest

Obviously not, Winter, you replied.

#13     Nov 18, 2005
  4. THERUDEBOY

THERUDEBOY Guest

One thing you do not get on 'chat forums' is endless supplies of 'winning' trades. Why? Why do people not post trades that often? People don't want to put themselves on the line, for all kinds of psychological reasons. But the most obvious one is because they don't want to be wrong. Trading? Surely it's not gambling!

#14     Nov 18, 2005
  5. Chris "Jesus" Ferguson is... I think... 2 time world series of poker champion.

He is also a Bright Trader. Any similarities?

Don Bright also made it to the final table in a professional poker tournament.

Check it out! www.stocktrading.com

#15     Nov 18, 2005
  6. BSAM

BSAM

Naw.....It's a sure thing. Good traders always know what the market is about to do. Go for it! Get filthy rich! ;-)

#16     Nov 18, 2005
  7. here we go again trading vs gambling.

it depends on the meaning of gambling. to some people, it is literally what it is: putting money in a bet that is statistically against you.

but mom and pops think gambling in terms of connotations: people throwing money away.

and some others think (myself included) that by doing in depth statistical analysis, the odds that were against you if you were to blindly place bets down, can be turned around, and that you can have a statistical advantage.

in a pure statistical way, yes, trading is very much like gambling, because the odds are statistically against you.

but in an emotional way, it can be different, because i go gamble to have fun. I trade to make money.

But some trade to have fun too. that is when trading is gambling on an emotional level as well, and that is when the house takes all the money

#17     Nov 18, 2005
  8. An apple is a fruit and a trade is a gamble -- a form of gambling that requires more calculation than say, playing the lottery. Et voilà, c'est tout.

#18     Nov 18, 2005
  9. THERUDEBOY

THERUDEBOY Guest

Hello, BSAM. You can take your tongue out of your cheek now. I'm sure the 'real' traders risk the lot on every trade with a tight stop or no stop at all, because, they 'know' it's 'easy'. They are not worthy of gambling, i'm sure.

#19     Nov 19, 2005
  10. does god exist?

#20     Nov 19, 2005