Is trading harder under current volatility or normal market conditions?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Amatrue, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Amatrue

Amatrue

Trading 1 MES contract most of the time, rarely 2 and only when I feel confident. Also trade 1-2 MGC contracts when I see an opportunity. I understand that current volatility may be a reason to my recent success so I was wondering if it is harder to trade under current volatility or under normal market conditions. I also understand that I might just be having a lucky month and not a viable long term edge.

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. trdes

trdes

I think there's too many factors in play to say which one is easier, depends on the individual and circumstances. Overall I'd say it's easier in normal times for most people, they could just go long, normally be profitable at some point and if averaged down typically would let you out.

Personally I don't mind this as long as you understand what's going on, it seems maybe slightly easier some days to turn a profit, but there have been a few days I struggled to turn a decent profit(like today).

3. trader99

trader99

I had a very solid P&L in Feb. March continue to be good. I've also made some big mistakes but because of the volatility I was able to recover and be green.

Having said that, It's NOT an easy market to trade! If you are a novice, then trade small and be super tight on risk management. Risk of blow up account is very HIGH.

10_bagger likes this.
  4. Amatrue

Amatrue

I started with 10k and dropped to 3k while the crash was beginning. This month I've almost broke even with my last red day being last wednesday. So I can't help but wonder if i've gotten lucky or that i've found some sort of edge.

I know that this thread may seem like I'm bragging, I can assure you that i'm not. As a novice trader I hope that this is not a one time performance and maybe I've found an edge, but I'm starting to doubt myself if I can continue to perform on the next trading day.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  5. Liquidity has completely collapsed. Hedging instruments are not liquid. Institutions are being forced to deleverage. This is a really big problem for all market participants.

I'm starting to worry that it's never coming back.

comagnum likes this.
  6. %%
    Put it this way;
    its better than sideways slop/chop/ aka, barbed wire range, as an elite put it...…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………...

Sekiyo likes this.
  7. TommyR

TommyR

one thing i would be interested in does anyone have solid mechanisms for printing in very normal times or is only black swanners? i just sense a lack of fire power under the normal sometimes.

8. trdes

trdes

I genuinely don't understand your question, could you and/or someone else clarify for me please?

Sekiyo likes this.
  9. Sekiyo

Sekiyo

You can find some 1 risk : 10 rewards.
    Not sure if you can find these, daily, under normal conditions.

It’s tough for those shorting volatility.
    But you have to adapt.

First we have to define what makes the craft harder.

Noise, Randomization ...

I mean ... Rules are the same.
    Guess it’s not harder ...

The game is the same as past century.
    I mean the FED backing the market was special,
    Guess it was not the norm be the exception.

10. i've found it easier. The intraday moves seem to be actually following TA like in the books! The moves don't feel so random at the moment

#10     Mar 20, 2020
    trader99 likes this.