Is trading Gambling or not .."What say You" Vote here.

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by ElectricSavant, Apr 10, 2005.

Is Trading Gambling or not

This poll will close on Jan 12, 2060 at 11:25 AM.
  1. Gambling

460 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. Not Gambling

854 vote(s)
    65.0%
  1. Trader Curt

Trader Curt

No, the outcome is certain. You will either lose a little or gain a lot.

#1261     Aug 24, 2019
  2. LS1Z28

LS1Z28

It depends on what your definition of the word "gambling" is. Most people associate the term with an activity that has a high level of risk. There's risk in just about everything you do, but the level of risk varies greatly depending on the activity. Trading is very similar. There are gambling addicts that come to the market for a fix, and there are careful traders & investors that aren't really gambling. You can't forget that the value of your money typically erodes constantly through inflation. So there are risk associated with not investing as well.

#1262     Aug 24, 2019
  3. So "not gambling" is no risk at all?

#1263     Aug 24, 2019
  4. Overnight

Overnight

The poll is clear on this issue, and it is the most participated-in poll I have seen in my time here on ET. Trading is NOT gambling.

#1264     Aug 24, 2019
    tomorton likes this.
  5. LS1Z28

LS1Z28

There's risk associated with just about everything you do in life. Look at what happened in Venezuela. I'm sure they had a lot of citizens that put every single penny they ever saved into a savings account. Then when hyper inflation hit, they lost the vast majority of their net worth. Even if you consider investing to be gambling, not investing has risks as well.

#1265     Aug 25, 2019
  6. So life is a gamble? Can one "not gamble"...and what would that look like?

#1266     Aug 25, 2019
  7. LS1Z28

LS1Z28

It just comes down to how someone defines the word gamble. I've always considered gambling to be an activity that exposes you to high levels of risk, but if you consider any type of risk to be gambling, I guess life is a gamble. Breathing, eating, drinking, moving & not moving all expose you to some form of risk. The only way to completely remove risk from the equation is to check out.

#1267     Aug 25, 2019
  8. If a gambler has a life jacket...is it "not Gambling"?

#1268     Aug 25, 2019
  9. Pekelo

Pekelo

Well, the answer is more nuanced than that. First, the voters here are hardly objective. Second, even if they were, doesn't mean they are necessary right.

Third, the correct answer is, it depends. If the trade has a statistical positive expectancy (because of chart patterns, fundamentals, insider info,etc.) then it is NOT gambling.

If I flip a coin and buy a shitload of calls based on that before earnings, THAT is gambling.

#1269     Aug 25, 2019
  10. Sooo...If a trader trades a statistical positive expectancy....his next trade in "not Gambling" ?

Thank you for voting...what say you...

Es

#1270     Aug 25, 2019