Is trading E-minis a zero sum game or not?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by bankroll, Nov 9, 2012.

1. And taxes ...

#11     Nov 9, 2012
  2. seadog

seadog

Isn't commission and taxes just part of the business your in? I f either one is a make or break situation, your in the wrong business.

#12     Nov 9, 2012
  3. yeah, that would be cool if you always knew you were going to be right. But if you think it is going to be close, it's something to consider. You might be right, technically, but lose the advantage in the spread and commissions. In a bad year, it can be very tight. You really need to be right consistently, or in a big way to make money in this businesss. Or at least, that's the way I see it.

#13     Nov 9, 2012
  4. seadog

seadog

Why would one go into a trade if you thougt it might not work out? Use stop loss. Lower expectations. Patience. Money management is imperative.I do well with stock picks, for trading. No money involved. Have returned 20-25% for the last 3 years, just a side interest. Go long, or short.Anywhere from a week to 9 months.

#14     Nov 9, 2012
  5. I don't pm. 99.99% of what I post on the internet is just bullshit. It's no different than the talk that goes around the table when you are waiting for a hand.

I shouldn't have to tell you this

I just do it because I am a really good guy

#15     Nov 9, 2012
  6. Yes, it is zero sum.

#16     Nov 9, 2012
  7. seadog

seadog

Oh well, I try.

#17     Nov 10, 2012
  8. In futures or forex .....

"you can only profit to the extent the other side is willing to lose"

If you think about it..... E=mc squared.......everything is zero sum.

#18     Nov 10, 2012
  9. yes, at times it is quite baffeling. Is anything ever created? Or just transformed. Perhaps that's why we worship a creator, because nobody has figured out how to do that yet.

#19     Nov 10, 2012
  10. Futures trading is *almost* a zero-sum game. Because every participating actor must pay commissions, even if they are a member and pay much lower commissions, it is not a true zero-sum game.

There is an inherent losing expectancy for everyone.

I would make the analogy of a roulette wheel with about 98 black/red slots and two green slots where players always lose.

This is why it's so important to pay a *reasonable* commission.

Also, one must have a distinct edge to be sustainable over time.

PM me if you have any questions.

-Chi

#20     Nov 10, 2012