Is trading an addiction?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by hypostomus, Oct 12, 2003.

1. What will YOU do on Columbus day?

2. See sig :D

-Fast

3. I just can't get enough, I just can't get enough, ....:D

4. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

See what happens the first ninety minutes, as always. Have to be up anyway.

5. db, do you not trade the first 90 minutes? Say it ain't so :eek:

-Fast

6. ...is energetic. I only trade the first 60. Shortly I will post directions to my website, where you may participate in a big bucks lotto predicting how long it will take before this thread is hijacked.

7. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

:D I'd be a lot more energetic if I lived closer to the east coast. The upside, of course, is that I have most of the day off.

8. ...so you'll trade a thin market? I made money last Christmas vacation, but it was sweaty armpits all the way. I hate seeing my own prints.

9. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Volume was important to me when I traded stocks and I continued to place a lot of importance on it when I switched to futures. But when volume declined overall, I found that, over time, I was missing out on too many perfectly good trades simply because I thought volume was "too low".

It was a dismal day when I removed volume from my charts. It was like shooting Old Yeller. But the results have improved substantially.

There are several keys to this, one of the most important of which is the entry. If the entry setup is right, a trigger is far more likely to put you into a winning trade than not. And if the entry doesn't trigger, then you haven't lost anything.

10. ...yeah, I'm with you on volume. I feel really stupid trying to follow the volume-related parts of Grob109's postings and those of the similarly minded. I devote a tiny sliver of my screen to volume, but only in the vain hope that I will eventually see something that clicks. Since my account isn't denominated in volume, I focus on pure price/time action. For a while I tried watching T&S, but that only gave me headaches. I strongly suspect that if I tried to add volume to systems which already have too many rules to optimize with confidence, I would just screw things up.

#10     Oct 12, 2003