Is Trader Tax status worth it?

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by Steven W, Feb 14, 2019.

1. sprstpd

sprstpd

Professional data fees are not a small cost. My preference is to not form an entity, and pay non-professional data fees. The income I earn from trading is considered unearned income and does not incur social security taxes. However, that means I won't get any social security benefits. Personally, I'd rather save for my own retirement rather than rely on a government program that is unsustainable. Note that you can be a non-professional (i.e., no entity) and still get trader tax status. Green details reasons why this might not be an optimal path, but it has worked for me.

#11     Feb 26, 2019
    RosyScenario likes this.
  2. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

That path worked for me too, for a few years early on.

With intent to broaden knowledge, not argue... earned income unlocks a whole world way beyond participation in government sponsored social programs which may or may not be available when needed. In addition to a simplified way of life via mainstream "proof of income" documentation, certain benefits surrounding retirement and health, in particular, become available, many with eligible costs being deductible. Other non-taxable benefits to the individual may become available as well. Well worth mentioning but not directly associated with earned income... depending on entity structure, "distributions" free of SE-tax, and in some cases even tax-free, may be available.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    #12     Feb 26, 2019
  3. Would someone who is already on Medicare and collecting social security still have to pay the SE-tax for these two items?

#13     Feb 28, 2019
  4. Sig

Sig

If you make more than a de minimis amount then yes, you still have to pay SS tax. Of course if you make more than a de minimis amount you cap out and stop having to pay SS tax (anything over $132,900 this year), so since it's not marginal it really doesn't matter much if you're in a position to be having this discussion in the first place.

#14     Feb 28, 2019
  5. 7to1

7to1

I SCALP futures, like the Dow and Oil. Never hold anything over night. At the end of the year I have no holdings. Seems like MTM would not be a benefit for me, especially if I gain TTS status?

#15     Feb 28, 2019