Is tomorrow a black Friday?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by UnFoRGiVeN, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Just an observation....this bounce has come on declining volume. Not the healthiest of signs.

Also keep in mind margin debt was at record highs. There is a lot of folks praying for that break even trade at this point.

#21     Mar 8, 2007
  2. abxs

abxs

I was thinking exactly the same thing... Volume is really drying up today and this is a very slow burning day... so slow it's even frustrating...

I think we've only just began to move down... the public is buying en masse if you read the papers because they stocks are cheap... but as far as contrary thinking goes this means the move is not sustained by the smart money (strong hands)...

#22     Mar 8, 2007
  3. mkt will recover and make gains for the yr. volatility can't stay high for long. all those funds dumping premium will take care of it and of any mkt cap losses. infact i got a long term tgt of 8 on the vix and further gains to come next yr for the mkt.

#23     Mar 8, 2007
  4. bluud

bluud

yep the real ride has begun!!!!

#24     Mar 8, 2007
  5. dhpar

dhpar

1. margin is calculated on both long AND short positions....
    2. every long contract has a short contract against it

i.e. margin does not tell you much where the market is going - only that vol can potentially shoot up.....

#25     Mar 8, 2007
  6. i say sell it hard... even if it risises a few hundred more points keep selling it...

had a high volume move which broke the back of the uptrand. a retracement on lower volume. sell the bitch!!

#26     Mar 8, 2007
  7. dhpar

dhpar

to increase short in this environment is simply stupid. That said some small protective short may come handy.
    You may get away with it if you hit the number tomorrow (like <40k) but in the longer term when the most of the world grows north of 8% annually you are going to miss a lifetime opportunity...

#27     Mar 8, 2007
  8. bluud

bluud

agree, I sold GOOG at 459.80 around 2PM and it kept falling rapidly right after my sell

#28     Mar 8, 2007
  9. bluud

bluud

also went short on XOM at 71.86 and bought it back at 71.52, can't take risk on oil, any sign of attack on Iran can send it to above 75$

#29     Mar 8, 2007
  10. ChrisM

ChrisM

Sure it is. There have been "Black Monday" and "Black Thursday" threads so now the time is for the next one.

#30     Mar 8, 2007