Is THIS what trading's all about ??

Discussion in 'Trading' started by capitalMan, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Don't lose hope: if you're sure you are at the high/low, but don't know which directions: trade straddles. That way you are always right.

What do you trade?

#11     Nov 6, 2002
  2. That is precisely when the market / commodity he is trading will go flat.

#12     Nov 6, 2002
  3. These last few weeks have been very tough.
    Im happy just to be slightly positive.
    Zero/rare follow through...very tough for my style.
    Hang in there. Should balance out soon.
    (Famous last words :D )

peace

axeman

#13     Nov 6, 2002
  4. There's more to it than that.

two possibilities

1. Negative emotions (which get started after a few losses and then just keep growing) cause you do things wrong. But not just wrong, EXACTLY wrong. That's what causes you to buy at the top, take profits before the big move, trade small on the big winners and big on the big losers.

2. I seem to miraculousy free myself from all negative emotions and I can trade "in the zone" I mean I can see it coming and going, and I'm aggressive and good, when the market also seems to be in a readable trend.

So is it the emotions or the market?

#14     Nov 6, 2002
  5. Good point.

Today I reviewed my trades and decided that
    I traded DAMN WELL. But I lost money.
    So in my case, I think its the current market mismatching
    with my style.

2 days ago, I made huge errors, but made money.
    Luck + market matching my style.

Its the averages that concern me.

peace

axeman

#15     Nov 6, 2002
  6. I agree it's your emotions that make you exactly wrong. But how do you free yourself from the negative emotions? Or are you aware of them and just do the opposite from what they tell you?

eg. hoping the move will continue means get the hell out.

#16     Nov 6, 2002
  7. ThoughtfulFog I also experience these frustrations of being Exactly wrong, no matter how I may try to bet against myself.

It seems like there's some kind of signal that's transmitted to the exchanges whenever an order of mine is executed, to tell them that now is the moment to move, the direction being the opposite of whatever trade I just made.

If we can turn our exactly wrongs into exactly rights, we can get "in the Zone".

#17     Nov 6, 2002
  8. thoughtfulfrog,

you just reminded me of the frustrations i used to endure when i first started in this game. trying times to be sure!
    the good news is most of the problems you mentioned CAN be corrected. hang in there - you may be a lot closer than you think!

#18     Nov 6, 2002
  9. welcome, old timer. (or should that be, welcome back).

eyes off self, eyes on game. what if the market conspires against you? what if she knows what your next move is going to be? Are you gonna let her outsmart you? No. You're gonna manage yourself. You're gonna cut your losses. You're gonna WAIT for your edge to manifest. And you're gonna learn a little bit more each and every day. And you'll hang in there, and you'll get paid for your trouble. Sometimes more than others.

#19     Nov 6, 2002
  10. oh man, there's books and books, and societies and religions, and therapies, and I don't know what all to try to help you free yourself from the destructive forces in your own head.

A lousy market is the result of bad thinking. That's why when the market is lousy, if you look around, you won't see anybody thinking right.

#20     Nov 7, 2002