Is this track record good enough to attract new capital

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by newtraderg, May 25, 2011.

1. sle

sle

Most obvious test is the bootstrap, (in absense of a "draw" distribution, in which case you should use the Student-T test). There are more complex and smart ways of doing it, but i would recon these results don't even pass that.

#41     Jun 2, 2011
  2. the1

the1

A few years ago I switched from a CPO to a CTA for a variety of reasons. It was the best decision I have ever made. My clients accounts are linked to mine so whatever I do in my account get duplicated in the client's account

And as far as raising money from Institutional Investor...Jf they they think you are a good risk then you stand a good chance of landing a client like that. Speak to your broker. He will help you with this. Qualified Investors are out there but they are difficult to find w/o some help. Be prepared to pay 2% of any client a broker lands for you and be prepared to answer some very difficult questons.

#42     Jun 2, 2011
  3. Stok

Stok

Curious about the reasons of switching from a CPO to a CTA ? Seems a CPO would be easier to manage than individual accounts.

#43     Jun 2, 2011
  4. Visaria

Visaria

Total BS. How can naming a test for randomness possibly weaken your "edge"?

#44     Jun 2, 2011
  5. Visaria

Visaria

Actually, what is the point of testing monthly returns for randomness? Doesn't make any sense.

#45     Jun 2, 2011
  6. jnpn

jnpn

OP, as for whether you can get additional capital, your numbers make it certainly a possibility and obviously worth a shot if nothing else. Would be tough getting a significant amount of money, as others have said, but that's not a terrible thing if scalability is doubtful.

Ah this made me laugh. Generating a p-value is basic statistics.

Snag an introductory stat book and flip to the section on p-values.

Monthy returns are the numbers he presented, and knowing the probability that he achieved those returns with a negative expected return would be one of the most objective ways to determine if it was luck.

#46     Jun 3, 2011
  7. The BS is you. This is why you are now on ignore.

#47     Jun 3, 2011
  8. Regarding scalability - Most of my trades are in FX, Gold and Crude.

In FX for example my typical trade is for 500,000. On IB most of the times I see bid/ask for upto 10M(depending on the pair) within a few pips.

I think If I was managing upto10 times what I am right now - about $6M, I can trade the same strategies without any loss because of the increase in size.

Anything more I am not sure, till I have a track record to prove the same strategies work on an account size of $5M-$10M

#48     Jun 3, 2011
  9. Why do you think so? Basic statistics? Bootstrapping was mentioned in this thread and it cannot be found, at least in a way that can be used easily, in basic statistics books. I do not use bootstrapping, at least I did not for the numbers presented here. Bootstrapping is an overly optimistic test. I would prefer to use MC simulation if I had the daily returns of the system, for each day in the performance period. But this is a lot of work. I do that rarely for my own systems only.

Here a challenge for you since it is so basic for you. Calculate the p-value for these performance results:

#49     Jun 3, 2011
  10. cokezero

cokezero

Your return is excellent. Get yourself a CTA license and have your statements audited by an accountant. Put your record on iasg and if your real time result resembles your past results for at least 6 months you should be able to attract some investors.

The -20% month is a bit ugly... if you have multiple accounts you should probably consider leaving out the worse accounts for that month to "massage" your records a bit. You can mix and match any way you want as long as your records are real... (a good reason why most investors would wait for at least 6 months of real time results)

When I say any way you want I dont mean you can cherry pick the best accounts per month. You can only cherry pick the start/stop period of the accounts instead of by month. Well not unless your accountant lets you do that and still would certify your audit...

#50     Jun 3, 2011