is this too much or just enough computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Joebone, May 3, 2018.

1. jinxu

jinxu

I don't know why you are arguing with this. It's morning and this is a extremely low priority discussion for me. So having said that, First you didn't say what PC option you are referring to so I have nothing to critic on. Second, you only need 1 very powerful graphic card to use as your main one. The rest just need to be capable of running 4K resolution so you can buy cheap parts there.

I'm done too. Further to add. A powerful PC does not make a good trader. Hehe.

#51     May 4, 2018
  2. Joebone

Joebone

in response to Proptrader as well

i have no idea if this tells me me anything?

Im not running TWS atm either so i would expect more drag then.. maybe i should fire that up as well

#52     May 4, 2018
  3. Wrong on YOU, dude. The ad is for refurbished. (Workstations often run 10 years or more. Those off-lease ones are likely 3-years in service.) That one is 6-core, passmark ~12700.) Anybody's system will "handle four, 4k monitors" with the proper video card.

#53     May 4, 2018
  4. Overly generalized and innacurate, misleading.

1. All computers gather dust. Blow them out twice a year.

2. All fans become noisy evenually. Replace when they do.

3. "Rust in Dells"? I've had Dell Precisions for years and have never seen it. What did you do, dump a coke in yours and not clean it out?

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    #54     May 4, 2018
  5. You should be looking at the CPU usage and the "System Memory" usage while a backtest is running. And see whether any of those is hitting the ceiling.
    TWS does not consume much CPU. And its system memory (i.e RAM) usage depends on how many charts and windows you have open at the same time.

#55     May 4, 2018
    Proptrader23 likes this.
  6. And I... lonnnnng time computer user for trading.... recommend NOT building your own for trading, (If you want to BIY just for the thrill of it, do it for a recreational use computer.)... especially if using more than one machine. Workstations preferred for trading.... Dell, HP, Lenovo... take your pick, but Dell usually has the better price.

#56     May 4, 2018
    easymon1 likes this.
  7. You should consider how much you're going to run concurrently.

"Windows multi-tasking" is a great thing, but it doesn't have infinite capability. (I don't run nearly as much as you say you're going to, and I use 2 computers for trading set-up... spread the task load, so to speak.)

#57     May 4, 2018
  8. Not true. In Dell Precision models, ambient air is drawn across the CPU heatsink. (Lesser models, not recommeded for trading, may have a fan mounted on the CPU. That's never the best cooling solution.)

So... what's your deal? You've knocked Dell TWICE in this thread.... and been full of crap in both cases. Facts don't matter to you... just a Dell hater?

#58     May 4, 2018
  9. Starspa

Starspa

You're kidding, right? LOL!!!

#59     May 4, 2018
  10. Not kidding at all. You don't know that? If not, maybe you should just STFU when it comes to offering hardware advice. (Jeez... you've already made a fool of yourself... maybe you should cut your losses and keep quiet... or maybe get informed before you flap your gums.)

#60     May 4, 2018