is this too much or just enough computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Joebone, May 3, 2018.

1. Joebone

Joebone

thanks for response.. I am currently backtesting in Thinkscript. and my max 5 min chart is 90 days.. and this is s cumbersome backtest for the old mac im running it on.

Mac OS X 10.7.5
    2 x 2.66 Ghz processor
    12 GB DDR2

its one of the really old Mac Pros.. I got it to do Video editing in college

#41     May 4, 2018
  2. Joebone

Joebone

Awesome! thanks for a straight forward recommendation.

#42     May 4, 2018
  3. Are you able to identify from your current computer what the bottleneck is in the backtests? Are you using so much data that RAM isn't sufficient? Or are so many calculations involved that the CPU is not powerful enough and takes a long time?
    Once you know what the limitations are of your current computer in your intended use cases are you better able to define what requirements you have for your new computer.

#43     May 4, 2018
  4. Joebone

Joebone

So how do i figure this out? Do i need some analytic software to tell me whats the bottle neck?

also.. MC doesn't run on a mac.. so a new PC is coming no matter what... the question is how much Umph do i need today?.. and how much can I save without severely hampering my ability to backtest?

thanks

#44     May 4, 2018
  5. Joebone

Joebone

I have added RAM to both my laptop and desktop? Im also handy.. I should be able to buy and build this kit right?

Is this a better buy than the Dell?

#45     May 4, 2018
  6. You can monitor your system with task manager during market hours or use benchmarking programs to stress test your computer. https://www.passmark.com

#46     May 4, 2018
    Joebone likes this.
  7. jinxu

jinxu

What you need to do is find out what parts Dell is using in their PC's and do a price cost quality comparison. Your other option is to trick one of the ET members here to do it for you. They seem eager to do free work. Hehe.

#47     May 4, 2018
  8. userque

userque

#48     May 4, 2018
  9. jinxu

jinxu

What? To handle four 4K monitor just require installing four graphic cards. Everything else is the same. Which are expensive.

#49     May 4, 2018
  10. Starspa

Starspa

Whatever; you haven't a clue! No, you don't need to install four graphic cards. And if they are expensive, wouldn't that mean that their system is even more expensive? I'm done!! LOL!!!

#50     May 4, 2018