is this too much or just enough computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Joebone, May 3, 2018.

1. Personally, I'd go the used workstation route. I recently bought a back-up one for my last generation machines... $90. Newer version with Xeon E5-1650 V2 CPU... like this HP Z420 from Newegg, $599

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...95860&cm_re=HPZ420-_-1VK-001E-0DR83-_-Product

#31     May 4, 2018
    NoodleStrudle likes this.
  2. Starspa

Starspa

Are you serious? That isn't even close to true and the fact is, to get the computer with the parts I wanted, I would have had to have it custom built, I saved more than $500!!

#32     May 4, 2018
  3. What... "isn't even close to true"?

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    #33     May 4, 2018
  4. Starspa

Starspa

On one side you say you buy the best gear and on the other you say, don't build your own computer. If you want the best gear you need to buy the best parts for a trading computer and put it together yourself or pay one of the companies that build trading computers a ridiculous price. Waste of time? One hour and a YouTube video; less time than it took to put together many other things I purchased that needed assembly.

#34     May 4, 2018
    lovethetrade likes this.
  5. lovethetrade

lovethetrade Guest

Building your own PC isn't about saving money, it's about getting exactly what you want and ensuring longevity of your investment.

Dell and other PC makers have a business model which is not always consistent with your best interests.

A decent cooling system in a PC that's constantly using its CPU can add 30% to the performance and the life of the product. A cold PC performs with less latency and more reliably than a hot PC with inferior cooling.

From my experience, Dells are also difficult to clean and accumulate dust, become noisy and rust on the inside. This has never happened with a PC i've built myself.

#35     May 4, 2018
    Joebone and NoodleStrudle like this.
  6. 6gb of memory does not cut it for what OP wants to do..

#36     May 4, 2018
    Joebone likes this.
  7. I think that also makes a lot of sense. Can get very good deal for used workstation machines. And plenty memory. Point is for trading or backtesting apps one does not need 3 or 4 ghz CPUs although it obviously does not hurt. Though for advanced usage and someone with a proven trading edge I always recommend to self build

#37     May 4, 2018
  8. jinxu

jinxu

I have no idea what the hell you are buying or building but I would use these guys:
    http://www.digitalstorm.com/

With a company, I assume they get discounts on buying in bulk the parts they used. So they can offer lower prices. They have sales too.

#38     May 4, 2018
  9. jinxu

jinxu

Cleaning a PC is not difficult. All you need is a dust blower. Take the PC outside. Open the case. Point and shoot. You probably won't get all the dust away. But most of it will be gone and that is fine.

#39     May 4, 2018
  10. Starspa

Starspa

Wrong dude! I looked and what they want over $1900 for a lessor computer than I built for $1400 that is more powerful, Their system won't handle my four 4K monitors.

#40     May 4, 2018