is this too much or just enough computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Joebone, May 3, 2018.

1. volpri

volpri

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

#11     May 3, 2018
  2. Almost 1500 for such mediocre hardware components seems quite expensive and a lot more than 300 above self built. I am not saying that the specs are not sufficient for trading but that the machine is way overpriced as displayed.

For example, a 256GB micron ssd can be had for usd 68,and yes that's for the m.2. Windows pro OEM key on eBay costs around 5 bucks (100% legit). And a Ryzen 5 1600 6 core with motherboard costs around 290 bucks. Just saying, a built of similar specs costs well under 1000. I don't get why so many here go for overpriced dell machines. I would never ever go for a generic pre-built machine for the one single tool in my job that matters the absolutely most.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    #12     May 3, 2018
  3. Joebone

Joebone

Thanks for all the responses!! Im not really manual scalp trading.. but i expect my algo to trade 5 times a day in chop. The reason for going for a hefty computer is the backtesting.. if i want to backtest a 5min chart of the last 360 days then I'm assuming I will need some heft??

am i wrong?

#13     May 3, 2018
  4. Joebone

Joebone

So what are the things that are a must have?

I have read that the 16 gigs of Ram is critical for backtesting and having multiple programs running

I have also read that the i7 is great but the i5 is ok? anything i should consider here?

the 500 SSD i have also read is a solid choice?

could some of you make a more specific critique?
    ie.. get this not this... you dont need this.... you absolutely need this....

#14     May 3, 2018
  5. Joebone

Joebone

thanks this was specific and helpful!

internet seems like the biggest weak link..

#15     May 3, 2018
  6. You don't need much computing power with today's hardware level for average back testing. Are you testing on years of tick based data? Is your backtest framework extremely complex and multi threaded? Then you might need specific components. But for the needs you described even a fast quad core CPU is way sufficient. I would rather go for 32gb vs 16gb memory than opting for a 6core vs 4core CPU in case of budget constraints..

OK, here my summary: from what you described you don't need to spend that much on a computer. You clearly are a beginner in this field which is perfectly fine. Get a machine with i5 CPU which is way sufficient for your needs, 16gb or 32gb memory, an ssd drive for the OS, 256-500gb, an a physical hard disk perhaps 2-4tb. Don't ever waste a penny on a fancy graphics card. You don't need that for trading. The computer should definitely lie way below 1000 dollars for such setup, in fact it should costs closer to 700. The Dell machine is way overpriced for what it offers.

And I take a stab at recommending a single machine. You want to spend time on backtesting algorithms not on maintaining 2 or 3 operating systems and machines. With 2 or 3 machines you just doubled or tripped the chance of a defect. A secondary computer comes into play after you found an edge in trading and now want to employ real capital and safeguard against hardware failures. You don't need to worry about a hardware failure when you back test. I believe keeping priorities straight is the most important.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    #16     May 3, 2018
  7. Joebone

Joebone

Im not using MC.net im using regular powerlanguage... I wouldnt expect my code to be soooo taxing that i would need a cooling system? am i wrong?

#17     May 3, 2018
  8. Joebone

Joebone

I will absolutely run as many years as I can get with IB in MC.. running powerlanguage and not running on MC.net... I havent gotten there yet

the calculations for the algo shouldn't be calling data farther back than 150 ish bars

the big thing here is I just dont want to get a computer that will satisfy my backtest today... Im trying to make sure I will have plenty of room to grow in this computer... as I get more sophisticated..

#18     May 3, 2018
  9. Well, I would still stick with my recommendation. You have not proven to yourself yet whether you can ever derive an edge in algorithmic trading. If you succeed then you don't need to care about the cost of your machine. I bought two Titan V on the fly to speed up training of deep learning networks on my local work station. At some point the cost of commodity hardware becomes negligible. At your stage, however, it is prudent to stick to a budget that gives you a machine that does all the work today. If you don't succeed you will be thankful you did not waste time. And if you succeed you will anyway upgrade your hardware later. Even if you get a medium powered machine today that you think might run well for the next 3 years once you have capital at your disposal and derived an edge you will anyway upgrade your hardware.

Good luck with your decision but more good wishes and luck in your algorithmic trading endeavor.

#19     May 3, 2018
    Joebone likes this.
  10. S2007S

S2007S

People still pay over a $1000 for a PC in 2018!

:wtf:

I use my tablet and phone to place 100% of my trades now adays!!!

#20     May 3, 2018
    volpri likes this.