is this too much or just enough computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Joebone, May 3, 2018.

1. Perhaps but it still does not change the fact that whether you use ddr4-1600 or ddr4-4266 modules makes virtually zero difference to the end user and overall computing performance. There are dozens of other bottlenecks before memory speed starts to matter.

#111     May 7, 2018
  2. volpri

volpri

well i guess I’ll just have to be a roadrunner cause they can’t do root canals on false teeth and I ain’t jumping out no airplane although I may pilot it for you if YOU wanna jump out. LL could jump with you and vicente will hook up your rip cords in the plane and pack your shutes! LOL

#112     May 7, 2018
  3. Joebone

Joebone

thanks for all the help guys... I think ive narrowed it down.

#113     May 8, 2018
  4. SteveH

SteveH

Joebone,

That's an expensive graphics card in that XPS since it's a gamer's card. So it's wasted money for 2D charting needs. I picked up a GTX 950 Ti w/4 gb pretty cheap because it has 4 monitor ports and only pulls 60 watts and would still have decent 3D capabilities

You know, there's TONS of super cheap ($180-300) Dell Workstation T3600's on eBay with 4 and 6 core 3.6 GHz and 3.2 GHz 1st gen E5 Xeon processors w/16 GB DDR3 which are being retired coming off their warranties. They have about 3-4 yrs on them but they're very well made and you can pick up a spare motherboard new as a backup for $100. Put a 240gb SSD in it and it's perky enough to do anything in trading. They'll usu. come with a Win 7 license so tough price to beat. Dell Workstations are made to last, 8 yrs is not uncommon.

Last year, I bought one NEW for $250 on eBay. They were part of an Air Force contract that apparently never used them. They stripped the 2 hard drives from them but the Win 7 license sticker was still good to use. The processor was the lowlier E5-1607 but, at the same time, there was a guy selling NEW E5-1620's (4 core 3.6 GHz) for $40, lucky sequence of events. Since then, I've bought 2 more used and don't think there's anything better for the price. Many come with 2 graphics cards which can drive 4 monitors or 1 which can drive 3.

It looks like eBay can be relied upon to get whatever Dell Workstation was in vogue on a 3 yr lag basis at bargain prices. The other option is to get whatever the equvalent HP workstation offering had which competed with Dell. I love this idea because the only reason they get dumped is from the warranty support expiration.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    #114     May 8, 2018
  5. Y'all should listen to this guy. He apparently knows his stuff! (I would have said what he did, but he beat me to it.) :)

#115     May 8, 2018
    easymon1 likes this.
  6. OMG, can you PLEASE stop derailing every single thread you participate in? Why you have to start all over attacking others? Add something useful or just leave the thread.

#116     May 8, 2018
  7. Hi NoodleStrudle,

You must have misunderstood Scat's response... as he is clearly agreeing with SteveH's comments, not attacking him.

#117     May 8, 2018
  8. And he made his point regarding Xeon processors perfectly clear in every technical thread he participates in. Everyone gets it. Why repeat the same mantra over and over? Others disagree with his stance and then he vomited on everyone who disagreed with him and said he was done on this thread. But back he is with the exact same message. Did you read the past pages where he disparaged everyone else? Enough about this guy. Back to the topic. I won't reply to posts that deal with that guy anymore but am happy to participate in on-topic posts.

#118     May 9, 2018
    Karin42 and fourtiwinks like this.
  9. Karin42

Karin42

Let me tell you that I have like 11 years old PC which could handle all that operations listed here, it costed like $1500 along with monitor, and I did few upgrades during that time like new Graphic card as well as new CPU, it's still handling all Office and other tasks well.

#119     May 14, 2019