Is this the volume and volatilty of regular trading?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Traber, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Traber

Traber

I just started trading futures during the summer and I've read many times that the summer is when it's the trading is the slowest and tightest range. But for the past couple of weeks the swings have the largest I've seen in my short time of trading. Is this b/c summer is over or maybe it's an election year? Another reason I don't know of?

2. pkts

pkts

Dude this is NOT normal.

It's a great time to be getting experience but difficult because markets are rarely this frenetic.

I mean, we just dropped 10 points on the ES in 3-4 minutes and popped back up 10 the next 3-4. Last Tuesday we were at 1300, on Friday morning we were at 1316 and we topped today at 1280ish. Is that anyones idea of normal?

3. No this is NOT normal. If you just started, I would suggest just watching until things get a little less chaotic. A lot to learn here for sure, but I've been trading for a while and these moves are making me sit out. You just have no edge.

4. Traber

Traber

^^^ Thanks for the replies. I just saw on CNBC that is the the YM's 13th triple digit move in the past 24 sessions.