Is this the solution to USA crisis ?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Humpy, Sep 30, 2012.

1. you could be right. there could be some of the righties on et stupid enough to do it. i should have said would a thinking person exchange all his wealth for a currency printed by a small town.

now. for the "would you exchange "all" your wealth for any fiat currency" canard.
    yes i would. if i decided to cash out tomorrow i would gladly accept us dollars for the procedes of my sale and if i decided to buy gold or whatever the seller would exchange his gold for my "fiat currency". think much?

#11     Oct 5, 2012
  2. CT10Gov

CT10Gov

Because "store of value" is only one of the many things that makes money, money.

Acceptance is another.

#12     Oct 5, 2012
  3. Humpy

Humpy

There is NO pressure to convert ALL one's wealth if I understand it correctly.
    This new currency would be paid out for jobs done. Many areas have a surplus of work that should be done AND a surplus of unemployed to do it. The problem is noone has enough money to employ them. Hence make a new local currency that would pay off the workers and get the jobs done. The diminishing value is to encourage the workers to spend their money quickly on local products. The main USD won't be affected.

#13     Oct 5, 2012
  4. BSAM

BSAM

Here's what we need to do:

1. Implement term limits for the senate and house.

2. Implement a balanced budget amendment to the Constitution.

3. Implement a consumption tax and abolish the income tax and the evil IRS.

Result?:

Economy explodes upward!

#14     Oct 5, 2012
  5. 1. we already have term limits.
    2. then republicans couldnt start wars.(probably a good thing).
    3. instant depression for a consumption based economy.

grade = fail

#15     Oct 5, 2012
  6. Humpy

Humpy

A lot of youngsters come out of education with not a lot to look forward to in the employment scene.
    Instead of showering billions on the banks that have plenty enough to give themselves fat bonuses - why not raise the minmum wage. Those people at the bottom of the heap will spend. Bankers are satiated with public money and can do no more.

#16     Oct 5, 2012
  7. CT10Gov

CT10Gov

What would be the impact of this on employment opportunities?.... hum....

#17     Oct 5, 2012
  8. I think the modern age is experimenting with that idea in one of the most ancient civilaztions. They already have a snappy name for the new currency which reflects their cultural values. They call it the drachma. Much better than than the imposed currency called the Euro which never really caught on. Some say it will never work, but they have little understanding of the goat, sheep, wool and meat and cheese trade. Most of the naysayers have a maniacal infatuation with machines manufactured in Germany which they say will someday make our lives better.

In the meantime, a lot of Greeks still enjoy eating, drinking, music and sex. And if you have any German aunts like I do, you will understand the first time you see a Greek woman.

#18     Oct 7, 2012
  9. Humpy

Humpy

Totnes: the town that declared war on global capitalism

The locals of the Devon resort have gone to war – with Costa Coffee. But why are they desperate to stop a branch of the giant chain opening up in town? And can they win?

John Harris

The Guardian, Wednesday 15 August 2012 18.52 BST

It's a balmy Tuesday evening in Totnes, the small Devon town that sits just below the south-western tip of the M5. Outside the Methodist church hall, a hand-drawn notice simply says "Adios Costa". Inside, around 45 people are having an animated discussion about the imminent arrival of the ever-expanding coffee chain. There is a lot of talk about a failure of democracy, and the emptiness of what politicians call "Localism" – but, more interestingly, an emphasis on what might happen when the town's newest arrival actually opens its doors.

"Totnes's local economy looks to be in reasonable health, which is surely down to the fact that it is about as far from being what we now call a "clone town" as could be imagined. The local record shop, Drift, is mind-bogglingly great: the kind of place that you'd think was amazing if you found it in New York. The quality and diversity of restaurants is amazing. Most pertinently, the town has 42 independently run outlets that serve coffee, and – so far – not a single branch of any of the big caffeine-selling multiples.
    its stores. For example, we work with a family run bakery to produce our cakes, with dedicated dairy farmers for our milk and use British meat in our savoury lines. At a time when many businesses are closing, we are one of the success stories of British business, creating jobs right across the UK."

The local scene here. Totnes is a town built on a local currency and the local initiative.
    Balls to biig Govt & big chains of shops !!
    Even a castle if OT wants to come !! :p

#19     Oct 7, 2012
  10. it's a tough row to hoe, we are also trying it here, but in almost every case it is over taken. Cargill owns both the big market and the little farmers market. If you can do it, more power to you.

No need for us to always be enemies if we have something in common. After all, we both have a common background.

#20     Oct 7, 2012