Is this the reason why so many fail?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by afto, May 6, 2010.

1. afto

afto

With all due respect,I believe the main reason that the majority fail is that they think they can predict the future. Well, can you predict what your next thought will be?
    Neither can I!
    So,with the exception of those that can move or manipulate the market, it's probably smarter to begin from a position of not knowing and,perhaps, not even wanting to know
    wherefore goes the market. Everything you see on the chart is history with squiggly lines. Make of it what you want but what I am suggesting is that you can better be in the flow
    by seeing what is rather than what was.
    My best days have always come as a complete surprise to me,just as my best moments in all other areas of my life sort of snuck up on me outta the blue,tapped me on the shoulder and smiled,"Lets play".
    When all is said and done,it's just a game and, to paraphrase Ed Seykota, everyone always gets what they want. In that sense everyone DOES know exactly what they are doing.

#11     May 29, 2010
  2. Riding your winners is definitely important. I believe cutting your losses quickly is even more important. All it takes is a few out of control losers to wipe out all of that profit you earned on "pushing" your winners.

#12     May 29, 2010
  3. Likely, but I think a chunk of that is also commissions, slippage, frequent trading, dumb errors as well.

I have several times seen calculations that it can take 30-70% annual return just to break even for volume traders.

#13     May 29, 2010
  4. trendo

trendo

A 70% return just to break even? I'd be interested in seeing those calculations you mentioned.

#14     May 30, 2010
  5. hadlee

hadlee

let's not discuss faliure, let us discuss why we would succeed .

1) We succeed due to many hours of practice. This skill can be achieved either on simulator or tradng 1 lot real time with real money . Possibly in the process we may even discover a repeatable pattern that occurs approx 80% of the time, for a R/R of 3/1 in a single market .

2) We then slowly become more confident in our system based on the numbers in step 1 above . The system is robust enough to deal with small drawdowns , these are a business expense, let us say, a cost of doing business . This then leads us to our third step to success.

3) Trading large volume . Of course derived from trust and confidence ( W/L ratio + R/R) from step 1 . Only then do we get to see the spoils of thousands of hours of screen time. This i believe is the key to success , being 110% focused on the market.

Most seem to think they can give the market 20% of their time, that trading is easy money . They believe they will succeed sooner or later. This is false thinkng and why i believe most people fail sooner rather than later.

Just my two cents worth, take it as u wish .

#15     May 30, 2010
  6. henry76

henry76

You've all missed the point , most traders have to lose so that few can win , if the mistakes and problems were solved by the losing traders , it may make them win individually but others nescessarily would lose so the natural balance of most traders losing remained , in short so many fail becuase a few win big , and improving the trading of the losers won't change this , just change who loses , not that most lose, that stays !It's a bit like asking why so many players didn't win the u.s. open , the answer is simple , there can only be one winner , however well or badly they all play , i.e. traders are trading AGAINST each other .

#16     May 30, 2010
  7. YES, BUT, if you cut a blade of grass you know that 2 more will grow, and, what you should be asking, is, why does 2 more grow, and not just accept the fact:eek:

There is a REASON for everything that happens, and to think differently, well, is to think incorrectly, and, to think incorrectly, well, is just plain and silly, for, that will never do you any good:D

What will be, will be, but, it will be, for A REASON:cool:

TE

#17     May 30, 2010
  8. zaitoichi

zaitoichi

Limiting losses through risk management is paramount. What do you think ?

#18     May 30, 2010
  9. Poor money management can make a system with positive expectation a loser but no money management system can make a system with negative expectation a winner.
    The reality is at the sum most simply are not trading a system with positive expectation after transaction costs.

#19     May 30, 2010
  10. afto

afto

To think differently is to think differently. Nothing more, nothing less, neither correct nor incorrect.
    Do I need to know why new grass will grow in place of old grass?
    No.
    Do you believe it is worthwhile to understand the reason for everything?
    If you do, that is fine and I'm happy to learn from you.
    However, without appreciation, all the knowledge in the World is merely a booby prize.
    JMO

#20     May 30, 2010