Is this the real American Dream?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Cutten, Feb 16, 2005.

1. thank you for denouncing this evildoer. evildoers threaten the homeland and corrupt the workers that make patriotic contributions to the homeland to fund the wars. freedom is slavery, comrade.

#11     Feb 17, 2005
  2. Longhorns...My apologies?!

I was an ass-hole and somehow...As you describe it... a hypocrite!:)

#12     Feb 17, 2005
  3. A highly successful banker takes his once a year (because of the extreme workload) vacation down to Mexico to go fishing. Once there he is told that a young man named Miguel has an old 24 ft boat, but knows the best fishing on the west coast. Hesitant the banker meets up with Miguel, and spend the day fishing. Much to the banker's surprise, he hasthe best day of his life, catching two Marlins.

After the day, he is talking to Miguel over beers. He says to him,"You have the best location for fishing I have ever been, why don't you advertise?"

"Why would I do that?" asks Miguel.

"So you can grow your business 10 fold, then add 6 or 7 new boats, be able to hire a crew of 20, maybe even do a public offering!" exclaims the banker.

With no enthusiasm, Miguel asks "Why should I care about that?"

The banker, dumbfounded says "So you can get rich, you can retire, and spend the rest of your life...er, on the beach fishing every day."

#13     Feb 17, 2005

4. No problem. Have a great day. :)

#14     Feb 17, 2005

5. Pure genius.

#15     Feb 17, 2005
  6. Lol, good one!

Unfortunately, imo, Miguel's dream is just as elusive as the American Dream. "Do what you love and the money will come, and if it doesn't, it won't even matter" is appealing, to be sure, but sometimes the money really doesn't come. Or it comes for a while, but you were so busy "enjoying life" that it went just as quickly. And then what? Where's the security in this "dream" lifestyle? Surely being lulled by this myth is every bit as dangerous as keeping up with the Joneses.

#16     Feb 19, 2005
  7. A friend of mine work's at a cousin of mine's factory, producing timber building products and home furnishings. He is married to the factory owner's sister. The job provided for his family while his wife spent five years trying make a go of producing children's fashion. Forced to close down because of cheap Asian imports, she spent a year out of work. Being "man of the house", my friend had no problem being the sole provider.

Now his wife's landed a lucrative sales position at a fast growing fashion house. Gets to tour the world every couple of months, inspecting the latest in clothing worldwide. $150k (AUD) package, dwarfing my friend's wage.

She won't shut up about how "great" the new company is, how much of a "success" she feels like. My friend's very resentful and has begun drinking heavily. Their marriage was the classic "highschool sweethearts" story, but with him putting her down every time she opens her mouth -- his way of dealing with his jealousy -- I think it's only a matter of time before she figure's she can do a lot better than him.

He and his boss (factory owner and brother-in-law) are close friends, and he is at no risk of being fired from his job. My advice to my friend is to strike a deal with his brother-in-law to only work like, three days a week. His wife probably won't notice any difference in the income, as she's too busy with her new job. That way my friend can relax and take it easy a bit. Why shouldn't he? He's not going to catch up to her in income no matter how hard he tries; he wouldn't even get close. Why not take the foot off the pedal a bit and enjoy life some more? Turn the tables on the whole "a man must provide" thing. His wife wants to be a corporate power player, let her...and sit back and cash in on it. By being so negative about his wife's success, he's only increasing the odds that she will find someone better and leave him.

What do you guys think?

(I must admit, I find the idea of my wife earning more than me a bit awkward to think about. I think it's that male urge to be needed as a provider, as protector. So if your wife's earning more than you...why does she need you?)

#17     Feb 19, 2005
  8. Mvic

Mvic

I think it must be hard to be so shallow.

#18     Feb 19, 2005
  9. I didn't read the whole article on the subject of this thread but ... just finished this book with a similar happy ending:

"Ugly Americans" by Ben Mezrich.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...102-1536039-9312124?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Ben wrote "Bringing down the House" which is currently in production with Kevin Spacey. Ugly Americans is about some hedge fund managers in Tokyo who make a good score and then 'retire' to Bermuda. I would only recommend the book to traders, and only as a low priority read. The author is embarrassing clueless about hedge funds and trading, and is a bit too enamored of his subjects and the sex industry in Japan.

Still, it is interesting, particularly for those of us who were out in Asia during the late 1990's and into this century.

#19     Feb 19, 2005
  10. Cutten

Cutten

Yeah, I read that one a few months ago. A bit superficial, but I'm a sucker for anything trading-related. So do you know any good sex clubs in Tokyo? :D

#20     Feb 20, 2005