Is this the real American Dream?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Cutten, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Cutten

Cutten

2. From 'The Dharma Bums' by Jack Kerouac

So we unpacked our packs and laid things out and smoked and had a good time. Now the mountains were getting that pink tinge, I mean the rocks, they were just solid rock covered with the atoms of dust accumulated there since beginningless time. In fact I was afraid of those jagged monstrosities all around and over our heads.

'They're so silent!' I said.

'Yeah man, you know to me a mountain is a Buddha. Think of the patience, hundreds of thousands of years just sitting there bein perfectly perfectly silent and like praying for all living creatures in that silence and just waiting for us to stop all our frettin and foolin.' Japhy got out the tea, Chinese tea, and sprinkled some in a tin pot, and had the fire going meanwhile, a small one to begin with, the sun was still on us, and stuck a long stick tight down under a few big rocks and made himself something to hang the teapot on and pretty soon the water was boiling and he poured it out steaming into the tin pot and we had cups of tea with our tin cups. I myself'd gotten the water from the stream, which was cold and pure like snow and the crystal-lidded eyes of heaven. Therefore, the tea was by far the most pure and thirstquenching tea I ever drank in all my life, it made you want to drink more and more, it actually quenched your thirst and of course it swam around hot in your belly.

'Now you understand the Oriental passion for tea,' said Japhy. 'Remember that book I told you about the first sip is joy the second is gladness, the third is serenity, the fourth is madness, the fifth is ecstasy.'

'Just about old buddy.'

3. I think he is a parasite. Everything he mentions can still be done with a trader's lifestyle...as well as add some economic support for his wife and kids.

What he fails to mention is that part of the "American Dream" is to make sure the future generations of your family are well taken care of and they won't have to labor as hard as you did....that is what a real father would do for his family.

He is a low life bum (and proud of it).

4. cable

cable

He's written Part Two.

He's a bum, all right, but he's a bum who lives in the Cayman Islands. He's "living the life." Every time I've been down to a tropical tax*cough*-- er, vacation spot, I've had the same thought -- it would be so easy to purposely miss my plane, choosing instead to lie on the beach and eat pineapples and coconuts until I die. And since I'm a tackily dressed white guy, I can just walk down the beach to any five star resort and pick up a plate at the buffet and nobody will be any the wiser. And if they did wise up, I found that a bit of money really does talk with the staff at the resorts. I wouldn't want to be a full-fledged bum, of course, I still have my "needs"; but really, a good trader can trade from anywhere, and a tax*coughagain*-- sorry, a nice warm beach with dozens of topless French 20-year-olds smiling at you is as good a place as any (ahhh, having a nearly-photographic memory never felt so good). If I remember correctly, however, the Caymans prohibit public nudity, so you'll have to check that surreptitiously next time you're in your favorite bookstore's travel section.

There was a short-term opportunity I ran into through some acquaintances last year (dentists who have a habit for losing money); I actually considered buying a very nice mansion in the Dominican for about $300,000 US (but easily worth $2-3 million in the States, Canada, or parts of Europe). Hell, I can hire servants for $20 US / day, and they'd be fighting each other for the job. As long as they don't steal my furniture, I'd be set.

Wow, I think I'm talking myself into this... Of course, my wife owns a controlling interest in Cable, Inc. and seems to enjoy her veto power.

Another example: From what I remember of author Graham Greene, he moved to Panama, where he could "live like a King for $400 a year". Of course, he was probably killed by "freedom fighters", but still, it was fun while it lasted. The very cool Fred Reed has moved to Mexico until America starts to resemble the America he grew up in, Larry Williams has taken his subscription money and taken off to the US-owned-and-operated Virgin Islands (but don't quote me on that, I saw it in some magazine) and of course, a quick Google for Alex Doulis will undoubtedly bring up some good hits.

It's got me thinking, anyway. Hmmm... This post might be more for myself than for you guys -- but if you can find anything worthwhile in it, all the better.

5. Why do you have to associate everything with money longhornes??

Just before you go further, I could bury you with my money!

I think that this guy is living a dream, no ulcer, no cheating, no stepping over other people's heads, no stabbing somebody in the back to take his position, no fading your friend's trades to buy your boat that you are going to store in a $ 16,000 a year lot for 9 months, and no snapping at your children whenever you have a bad trading day aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand...He lives in the cayman Islands. I say this man is the smartest of us all and you are as jealous as hell!

6. 1) I made an argument for taking care of ones family...not for making money.

2) I seriously doubt you could "bury me with your money" (unless you plan on cashing it into pennies). But even if you could...WHY DO YOU HAVE TO ASSOCIATE EVERYTHING WITH MONEY???... hypocrite

3) If you like it so much, then move there with all your tons of money. From the sound of it, I doubt anyone would miss you....Jackass.

7. Turok

Turok

Long:
    >2) I seriously doubt you could "bury me with your
    >money" (unless you plan on cashing it into pennies).
    >But even if you could...WHY DO YOU HAVE TO ASSOCIATE
    >EVERYTHING WITH MONEY???... hypocrite

While I don't agree with your position on this "bum" guy, I do have to admit it was wildly hilarious to see WAEL put his 'why is it always about money? (but just so you know I have sure do have a lot of it)' comments back to back.

JB

8. "Step Six: Location, location, location. Where are you going to go? I'm not too keen on trying to be a bum in an affluent area or big city."

A sail boat is a nice compromise. :D

9. You can work downtown and be a button-down bum.

#10     Feb 17, 2005