Is this stock good to short now?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by Bry, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Bry

Bry

3D Systems: DDD
    Rallied yesterday when market was going down, maybe a hanging man candle formation now on daily:

http://stockcharts.com/freecharts/candleglance.html?ddd

Intended just as a put option swing trade for few/several days, maybe for about $3 down. Best if it opens slightly lower on Monday.

Any thoughts? Is this dangerous "top picking," instead of going with an already strong trend?

2. lindq

lindq

DDD is in a very hot business right now. Are you willing to take a chance on a big rally or a buyout offer?

Shorting equities is best done on a very strong intraday move following unusual strength on daily charts. IMO DDD isn't in the ballpark unless you just get lucky.

3. Bry

Bry

even for just a $3 pull back in such a market?

4. Shanb

Shanb

Tough to make money short in a name like DDD. You gotta understand that this thing will be defended by institutions on any move down. Tough to get any follow through in that type of trade.

5. Mysteron

Mysteron

[​IMG]

It might go up, or it might go down, who knows???

Place a bet and protect yourself if you're wrong.

6. Bry

Bry

Mysteron,
    Appreciation.

7. Daring

Daring

One of the strongest stocks in the market, flying high when the markets are flying low.

And you want to short it?

8. Fool

Fool

I showed DDD daily chart to a very special individual. He said the up move started from 09/27/12 has up to 18 red bars and 35 green bars, whichever comes first.

He has Autism. He has made me truly believe that "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff. " (The Doctor from "Doctor Who")

Let's see if it is true.

9. Bry

Bry

I am only looking for $3 down; i probably would not short a higher open and run up, only a lower open and some downward movement; my reasoning was to find a stock that still rallied the last few days, lagging to recognize overall market weakness...but yes, trying to short a strong stock just because its price is still high is dangerous

thanks everyone for the critiques; if i do trade this, will do with extra caution; we will see this coming week if it shoots higher or pulls back at least $3 as I suspect

10. i've learned the hard way not to short stocks in a strong uptrend and vice versa.

DDD is above the 20, 50 and 200 dma. there is no sign of weakness.

if you feel the need to try to pick a top then like other posters have said use a tight stop. also consider going long puts or a backspread to try to keep cost down but even then there's a tradeoff.

IMHO, it's better to prey on the weak stocks than the strong ones.

#10     Nov 11, 2012