Is this "scalping?"

Discussion in 'Trading' started by IronFist, Aug 12, 2008.

1. I'm suggesting it might be worth looking into to use not for entry signals, but exit signals.

Not a simple crossing an such, but just to look for divergence, doing this with a smaller time frame.

Like if you normally trade with a 5 minute chart, maybe look towards a 1 minute chart, or even a small tick chart to look for divergences and look to exit that way.

You mentioned having problems finding tops and bottoms, but everyone does. To pick the exact end of a trend is just not likely, but I've found that price divergence gets me pretty close more than half the time.

#41     Aug 14, 2008
  2. so today this "method" hasn't been doing well.

So around 1pm I said screw it and I'm going to trade with the trend. If counter trend doesn't work, maybe with the trend will work.

Nope.

As soon as I enter WITH the trend, it immediately goes against me every time. Had I been counter trending I'd be way up right now.

#42     Aug 14, 2008
  3. I think that's a general problem fore many. By the time it becomes obvious, it's over at least in the short term. That's my opinion

#43     Aug 14, 2008
  4. Well I've made some money back but I just Martingaled my way out of a loss, which doesn't work IRL (except with Forex, I hear :D )

#44     Aug 14, 2008
  5. Not to throw indicators into this discussion but it seems like a lot of the time when this fading method doesn't work is when the Bollinger Squeeze indicator is not firing (I guess that means BBands are inside the Keltner Channels... low volatility).

#45     Aug 14, 2008
  6. Today. -$25 net (before commissions)

P/L statement with comments.

#46     Aug 14, 2008