Is this rally the real deal & start of a new uptrend?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by DisciplinedHedg, Mar 18, 2008.

Is this rally the real deal & start of a new uptrend?

1. Yes.

12 vote(s)
    25.5%
  2. No.

35 vote(s)
    74.5%
  1. Depends on what you mean by a "new uptrend"

Still in a bear market ala 2000-03.

#11     Mar 19, 2008
  2. the Feds have cut rates 225 bps in the last month

the Dow should be up 2000 points

the poor BSC holders that bought at 160 and get taken over at 2

booyah

#12     Mar 19, 2008
  3. The perma bulls are far worse. They ignore the worst fundamentals in decades. And have no explanation of what will drive the economy in its next expansion. Sure as hell isn't going to be the consumer at record debt to income ratios, and no refis to help with that situation. Exports? Way to small as a % of the econ. I just don't see anything out there.

But back to the thread. This bottom may have legs. The previous 400 pt rally was pathetic, this one was pretty good with volume, etc. I think we may go and test the upper range again (1400 SP). Overall, I think we will set at least one lower low, and will have some capitulation which we haven't had yet. Although the FED is fighting like crazy to help the banks, many of them are walking dead, with negative balance sheets if they priced in their bad loans. Just today, RGE monitor (Roubani's Econ Company) disclosed that the top 5 investment banks have bad loans ranging from a value equal to .7 - 2.5 times their assets. This is a nightmare that still needs to be worked through.

#13     Mar 19, 2008
  4. Lucrum

Lucrum

I would have liked to have voted: Too soon to tell.

Looking at ES, yesterday's volume (if my data is correct) was not terribly bullish but the price action overnight and so far today is. As long as we're above 1325ish and don't significantly take out last nights low
    the daily might be turning. IMO it's way too soon to say on the weekly but it certainly MIGHT be a DB.

#14     Mar 19, 2008
  5. What scares me the most is how "mispriced" this market can be up until the very last moment of truth.

BSC went from $60 to $5 in 3 days. It took Enron at least 7 months to do that.

So when people say all the negative is priced into the market. That is proof positive that it is impossible to tell.

So to me, that Black Swan day is alot closer and alot more real than most people may think.

#15     Mar 19, 2008