Is this proverb true: Tell me what music you listen to, I will tell you who you are

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by harrytrader, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Yeah, that was the best debut single ever! :D

#21     Mar 18, 2004
  2. Uni

Uni

Actually, that wasn't the first single (if that's what you meant). The very first one was "Don't Ease Me In/Stealin'" way back in '66 (I think). "Touch of Grey" was the first one to chart in the top ten after more than 20 years of being the most mind blowing band on the planet!

Here's their best trader's song:

Loser
    by Grateful Dead (Written by Robert Hunter)

If I had a gun for every ace I have drawn,
    I could arm a town the size of Abilene
    Don't you push me baby,
    Cause I'm all alone and you know I'm only in it for the gold

All that I am asking for is ten gold dollars
    And I could pay you back with one good hand
    You can look around about the wide world over
    And you'll never find another honest man.

Last fair deal in the country,
    Sweet Suzie, last fair deal in the town
    Put your gold money where your love is baby,
    Before you let my deal go down

Don't you push me baby, cause I'm all alone
    Well I know a little something you won't ever know
    Don't you touch hard liquor, just a cup of cold coffee
    I'm gonna get up in the morning and go

Everybody prayin' and drinkin' that wine
    I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines
    Come to daddy on the inside straight,
    Well I got no chance of losin' this time

Last fair deal in the country,
    Last fair deal in the town
    Put your gold money where your love is baby,
    Before you let my deal go down

Everybody prayin' and drinkin' that wine
    I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines
    Come to daddy on the inside straight,
    Well I got no chance of losin' this time.

Uni

#22     Mar 19, 2004
  3. Yes.
    The best? Verdi.

#23     Mar 19, 2004
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

Bob Dylan "Shelter From the Storm"

#24     Mar 19, 2004
  5. The Greatful Dead SUCKS, and so do Dead heads. Course that just mytwocents...;-)

#25     Mar 19, 2004
  6. they still around?? :confused:

#26     Mar 19, 2004
  7. never heard of him, whos he play with :( :eek: :confused:

#27     Mar 19, 2004
  8. "best debut album ever!" ?? i dont think so, that's a bold statement in face of 40 years competition.

:eek:

#28     Mar 19, 2004
  9. Uni

Uni

I find it amusing that the title of this thread refers to divining personality traits from the music one listens to but we're really learning about personalities from the posts (as usual). You can keep your two cents, mytwocents...;-).

Uni

#29     Mar 19, 2004
  10. Wow. I think I just got TOLD.... But I have to first say that I stumbled upon this thread without actually paying attention to what the title was...
    and
    Here's a quick one for ya..... then perhaps you'll have a little more understanding.....:
    Its just that whenever I hear (or read) anything having to do with the Dead, I'm immediately reminded of one of my roommates my sophomore year at college....She was a huge Dead head who also was a Phish Head and went on a 'Phish' tour around the country and brought back a homeless guy from Oregon whom she invited to stay with us......which he did...... for longer than she actually did.... And then two nights before she left for her second "Phish' tour, I came home to our apartment, a little tipsy, and walked in to find her, her friend Shyla, the homeless guy, and some other random guy... she introduced me to him as 'We met em on 4th Ave and he bought us beer so he's chillin with us.." Um, yeah, I went straight to my room and locked the door.
    So she leaves for the tour 2 days later and the day after that we get a knock on our door at 2 in the morning.... which was odd because no one ever knocked...we were all students and treated the place like dorms.... OK so my roommate goes to the door and opens it to find 4 plain clothed cops and some guy who looks familiar, but I can't place him.... They ask if our Dead head roommate was home, which she wasn't obviously, and then 2 cops and the familiar looking guy went to find Shyla and the 2 others asked to come in. They introduced themselves as Det. Such and such, and Det. such and such, from HOMICIDE. Then they show us a picture of a girl and ask if we've ever seen her but we hadn't.... Then he goes on to say that she was found raped, stabbed to death, intestines were burned with a cigarette and then dumped in a river. Turns out that the familiar looking guy (who now I realized was the guy who had bought Dead Head the beer) is their MAIN suspect and he was trying to claim us as alibis. Well he had been at our place on the Friday and she was killed on the Saturday..... And yes, he ended up getting convicted of her murder and is currently in prison.

So you see, after bringing home a homeless dead head from Oregon and then a murdering dead head from the street and then leaving school to follow the Phish...well, needless to say I immediately associate any dead heads with that....

Perhaps that's not fair but as 19 y/o girl in college, to have this happen, well, its stuck in my head.

So you see...at least I have a bit of a reason.... and quite a story might I add...;-)

#30     Mar 19, 2004