IS THIS LEGAL ? Arranged trades after hours with a friend at a hedge fund

Discussion in 'Trading' started by joelgoodsen, Oct 23, 2008.

1. lol fuck i knew i had seen this thread before but i was too lazy too look it up

#21     Oct 23, 2008
  2. hughb

hughb

This doesn't sound right, although I don't see why the OP would be yanking our chains over this. If it's real, perhaps the OP misunderstood his friend's offer. Did the friend at the hedge fund offer to sell you stock and guarantee you against loss? If that's what he did, then yes it is illegal and you will be caught if it's a large transaction. Is he telling you that you can sell it at a profit in out in the open market, or did he imply he will by it back from you later? Again, illegal, it's called stock parking.

why did I just waste 70 seconds of my life responding to this thread. It must be the white zinfandel talking. Think I'll go watch some TV tonight. I hope they still have those late night comedians on.

#22     Oct 23, 2008
  3. It's a hedge fund... enough said

#23     Oct 23, 2008
  4. what do you mean, short&naked? Is it the ordinary in hedge funds?

#24     Oct 23, 2008
  5. If the guy has the authority @ hedge fund to buy and sell stocks, why can't he sell "off market"? It is not illegal to sell outside the market and at other prices than quoted.

I think the problem would be if if the buyer agrees to kick back a profit when he sells.

#25     Oct 23, 2008
  6. sprstpd

sprstpd

Illegal.

Plus what if somebody pennies your buy order right before your buddy sends his sell order? Or what if your order is on ISLAND and somebody pennies you with a hidden order?

#26     Oct 23, 2008
  7. NY_HOOD

NY_HOOD

i would of said do it until you posted it on the net. that was stupid. you blew a great thing.

#27     Oct 23, 2008
  8. He is undoubtedly trying to paint his book by getting a mark which is different from the market. Not ethical. Don't participate.

#28     Oct 23, 2008
  9. BSAM

BSAM

Great. Part of the "I'll never get caught" crowd. There are thousands and thousands of guys just like you who wake up each day looking out from the wrong side of the bars, wishing that if only.....

#29     Oct 23, 2008
  10. :D

#30     Oct 23, 2008