Is this Illegal?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by newguy1, Aug 25, 2005.

1. BSAM

BSAM

Yeah, I hear you. I'm really not advising any manipulation and what you say, I'm sure, is 100% correct. I'm just pointing out that the "big boys" manipulate markets all the time.

#21     Aug 25, 2005
  2. Dumb and Dumber

New Guy_

This discussion is pretty pointless unless there's a real way to make money

Traders in your room (to pump your position) = Dumb

High powered hedge fund (to pump everyone's posion) = Dumber

I doubt you (or anyone else) could find either, even if you did care to risk doing something possibly illegal.

#22     Aug 25, 2005
  3. It's illegal. Not even close. Proving it is another matter, but most people who run afoul of the SEC settle.

Currency interventions are different. Currency is not a "security" and hence not covered by the anti-fraud and anti-manipulation provisions of the securities laws.

#23     Aug 25, 2005
  4. You must be licenced to give investment advise (buy now) if you take $$$ from the public (chat room or what ever).

This is highly illegal and fines can run as high as 100,000 and it's very easy to prove.:cool:

#24     Aug 25, 2005
  5. You might wanna look up window dressing done by almost every mutual fund in the country.

#25     Aug 26, 2005
  6. newguy1

newguy1

sounds good. I'll just take what everyone said with a grain of salt. and btw, its not that unlikely/unthinkable for people to have friends that run hedge funds.

But its probably really hard to imagine if you're retail.

I can't imagine this idea would come across a person who's always done it from home.

And you don't really need an absurd amount of bp to have a friend help you out. Sometimes you just need someone to take out that last xx shares on NY to get the bid/ask to the next price level on level 2. I mean, if you're sitting at home trading, who are you going to ask? I'm just saying because, hey you know whatever, I don't really care.

Take it easy and thanks for the comments again.

#26     Aug 26, 2005
  7. Window dressing has nothing to do with manipulating a stock up or down. Mutual funds are just kicking out there dogs and buying better performing stocks at the end of the quarter just so it looks better to the client.

#27     Aug 26, 2005
  8. Didnt know what u were getting at, what ur describing happens a lot, and is not manipulation. People often ask others to lift an offer or hit abid to move a guy outta the way. Have no idea if it is legal, I would think so.

#28     Aug 26, 2005
  9. BSAM

BSAM

If a mutual fund comes in and starts buying large quantities, isn't that going to (likely) push the stock higher?

Hmmm.....Sniff.....Sniff.....Sniff.....Sumpin' here smells like manipulation.

#29     Aug 26, 2005
  10. Good point, but the purpose of their buying is not to push the price up. The price of the stock will reflect the actual demand for the stock based upon the fund's big orders, therefore it's not being manipulated up.

#30     Aug 26, 2005