Is this HFT?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by bonds, Sep 20, 2012.

1. I am tired of this consistent bullshit of people claiming some ridiculous shit in one instance and then saying they don't know much in another.

I call bullshit simply because: when you click to hit/lift a bid/offer and your trying to hit/lift all quantities, you get everything. if you sweep the bid or offer, you get everything that was visible at that moment in time.

If there is 10 available on the best bid and 10 available on 2nd best bid. If you hit the bids with 20, you will take out both levels instantly, again INSTANTLY.

They cannot cancel mid-fill (ie you fill the 10 lots and then the 10 lots backs off). Unless you put all your 20 on the first bid then the 10 fills and now you have 10 showing as an offer.. THAT is the only instance where the bids will back off, if you sweep, YOU GET WHATEVER WAS DISPLAYED

Holy shit

#51     Sep 26, 2012
  2. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Sorry. I guess you are right, it's just Timber Hill in my case. I would love to hear what Mr Petterfy thinks about this.

#52     Sep 26, 2012
  3. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Cool. I know how a book works.

#53     Sep 26, 2012
  4. bonds

bonds

There was a high frequency trader on cnbc now that just said that 98% of the liquidity in the market is fake.

That explains everything that happened to me when I tried to sell...

#54     Oct 2, 2012
  5. Bob111

Bob111

too lazy to search my posts,but i've been saying same for at least 5 years. no need to be genius or "pro" trader to figure this out. all you have to do is just trade stocks. like i said-no need for a special committee trying to figure out cause of "flash crash". just fucking try to trade..it's all fake. specially on low volume stocks. look at spreads at open. there is no one trade in like first 15-20 minutes(except for stocks with news). market is DEAD. spreads during the day are unreal on some stocks. i do track spreads on portfolio i trade-it's just getting wider and wider,year over year. "HFT provide liquidity and market"-it's a pile of BS. HFT is everywhere and SEC has no control over it. they even admit it themselves. under current market structure-it is impossible for SEC to control trading on stocks. they allowed it. and i believe-they did it purposely. what else would you expect,if half of SEC staff are from GS..it's a big club and you ain't in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acLW1vFO-2Q

#55     Oct 2, 2012

6. This.

Also my experience. That's why I said this sounds odd way back when this thread started.

I'm not suggesting the OP didn't experience what he did. . . If it wasn't a coincidence, then something's monkeying around with orders before it reaches the exchange.. I'd look at the executing broker, or some middle-man process..

#56     Oct 2, 2012
  7. this thread is total BS.
    I have been trader 10 years and my trades have been executed INSTANTLY

ofc there are some algos who can cancel or alter bids

Some tries to excuse his losses.

#57     Oct 2, 2012
  8. vicirek

vicirek

If you talking about online trading, lifting offers, hitting bids than you are a trader. As bad as any other trader: automated (HFT) or manual (click). You are part of it and you are there for the money. It is zero sum game. Profit comes from other traders loss. What you trying to accomplish? To have TSA check at the door who is allowed to trade and why and how often they are trading? 98% of volume is fake? How about 100% of the market is fake and yet some are making money.

#58     Oct 2, 2012
  9. Bob111

Bob111

one more time-it's depends on what you trade and your size relative to avg.volume. if you trade 100 shares of GOOG or AAPL or SPY or ISM-then you probably wouldn't notice a thing.

#59     Oct 2, 2012
  10. emg

emg

10 years ago, hedge funds were blowing u away.

Today, HFTs are stealth tradera. They will blow u away

#60     Oct 2, 2012