Is this HFT?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by bonds, Sep 20, 2012.

1. "tried to hit the bid" or did you actually hit the bid? :confused: did you show and offer and then slowly move down to try to hit the bid? (that would make sense as to why the bids backed off aswell)

#31     Sep 22, 2012
  2. As another poster stated, you are trying to trade a low volume stock. This is pointless. You need to trade something that has a large enough volume that it can be day traded.

For example, CXM's normal day range is $ .21 - $ .23 with only on average 279,000 shares traded per day. It's basically not worth trading.

Now if we look at ETP, it's normal recent day range is $ 41.86 - $ 42.87 with over 4 million shares traded and a low spread between the bid and ask.

So if you want to fill an order its much easier.

I give another example in ES futures, let's say I put in an order to go long limit at 1450. ES trades down to 1449.75, that means my order had to get filled at 1450. Now let's say I had a target at 1454 and ES trades up to 1454.25, then the market will get me out. However, there are times when ES for example trades up to 1454 but does not go through it, and you will not be taken out of your target.

#32     Sep 22, 2012
  3. Why don't you take it as is... And rather than bitch about how bad it is why don't you take advantage of it

Why don't you accumulate a short position prior. Heck if you can drive it down .03 with zero shares. You're doing something good :)

One door opens another door closes

#33     Sep 23, 2012
  4. +1

Guys, market has moved already

Lets take example
    Fed gives some message and all market falls 1%

Lets take bid 5000shares.
    a)If there is "investor" somebody takes free money, because market had changed
    b)If there are algos, they simply cancel order and there are no fills whatsoever

U probably saw 5000shares and put sell order and market had changed already

#34     Sep 23, 2012
  5. But in other words retail investor always loses

Market makers, HFT, algos are like maffia who wants profit from you to invest some stocks

We all know them common term "spread fee"

#35     Sep 23, 2012
  6. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

This is a complete scam. I noticed it too in one of my rare attempts to trade stocks. You have a super illiquid stock quoting 10.40/10.50 for example. No single prints for 10 minutes, no movement in the book. It try to lift the offer @10.50 and surprise the ask is now 10.51 in a slightly bigger size. I try to lift it, it goes to 10.52... In the end you get tired and filled @10.55...

It has nothing to do with the speed of the algos even if speed is critical for them, the problem is in the fact that those algos get the info that you are trying to lift the offer with x size.

I know nothing about stock trading but this would totally drive me crazy. We don't have this on futures. The exchanges are not selling incoming orders data. HFT is fair on futures IMO, they don't use loops , they are simpler faster in trading profitable strategies.

#36     Sep 23, 2012
  7. gaj

gaj

bob111 - the main reason for the PDT rule is to prevent lawsuits against trading firms. the rule is ridiculous, of course.

#37     Sep 23, 2012
  8. Bob111

Bob111

of course you don't have it on futures. and partially because all orders are going to ONE exchange. there is no 80+ market centers in every city,who are trading same stocks,like i said above..there is no subpenny rules,that allowed for "pros" and not allowed for general public..
    and you know why we have all this on stocks? cause it's fucking profitable for certain category..it's so profitable for them,that they have enough power to make the rules and regulations,issued by US gvt agencies(who suppose to be on our side) in their favor. just another example of how FUBAR whole country have became.. for those, who are screaming and yelling the usual-adapt or die..ok, i get it..the problem is-it's everywhere,not just in trading..rules and regulations are bended in favor of big corporations..take a f** indy auto repair shop..talk to them-they have same exact problems. ask them(those,who does the inspections) how many times a year gvt checked the records,how they struggle getting any info on newest cars from manufacturers..

#38     Sep 23, 2012
  9. apple

apple

It happen very offen to me this year in this very low volume environment. Even on those very liquid stocks, such as STX WDC and so on. Those bids or asks are suddenly vanished when I offer only several hundreds shares( sell at bid and buy at ask).

#39     Sep 25, 2012
  10. Bob111

Bob111

another way "their" or HFT play it is this-you try to sell at bid let say 100-150 shares where 200 shares are at it. no activity whatsoever. one appears to be passive bid..when you press sell-someone steps in before you and sell right before your order reach the exchange. result-either partial fill(like 1-2-5-50 shares max) or no fill at all and bid moved lower. basically they are pushing the price,if there is no liquidity on this side and you will end up at far lower prices than you initially expect to exit(imo-same s**t happens at flash crash or variations of this scenario. no need for 1-2 years committee to figure this out)
    off course there is nothing illegal here,but again..in example above-passive bid,zero activity,you are only one seller at that moment. it's honestly feels like cheating.."they" will squeeze every fucking penny out of you,while they can. and they do this because they can. why they know about my order and can step on front of it? how? is this suppose to be "fair"? there is use to be name for it and it use to be illegal- front running.

#40     Sep 25, 2012