is this guy for real?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by pak, Dec 29, 2008.

1. John wrote the book "Rocket Science for Traders" but I never found it to have much value. The guy is impressive in his knowledge of indicators however.

#11     Dec 30, 2008
  2. GTS

GTS

I was a subscriber in 2007. I found discrepancies between their site and reality such as when a stop on YM was hit overnight that was not reflected making the "hypothetical" trades useless.

Here is an email exchange with their support about a stop that was hit that they ignored:
    ---
    Me: YMM8 traded below the stop price of 11695 last night

Them: Thank you for your observation. eMiniZ uses pit-traded prices from the day sessions, not prices from the 24-hour electronic markets.
    ---
    Remember, this is YM we are talking about.

I canceled my subscription in late 2007 but they kept my account active until Apr 2008 for some reason.

#12     Dec 30, 2008
  3. #13     Dec 30, 2008
  4. And the YM doesn't have a pit-traded counterpart ?

#14     Dec 30, 2008
  5. GTS

GTS

AFAIK, YM is electronically traded only. Not sure why it is relevant that there are pit-traded DJ futures contracts (that are not YM)

If I am following a YM system that uses hard stops then I expect that anyone following such a system would place a stop market order and thus overnight trades in YM would apply.

When stops were added to their systems (not originally there) there was no documentation other than this emailed statement "Enhancements include specification of the contract delivery/expiration month, alerts when to roll to the next contract, and precise disaster stops for each trade. "

I asked for clarification and got this by email "if a stop is hit the current position is immediately closed at the stop price" Seems pretty clear to me.

If you are using "disaster stops" then IMO the stops must always be in-place. To turn them off during overnight trading means you have no stop in case of "disaster".

On another occasion the stop price was hit twice during RTH - that is actual YM trades occurred at the stop price (pulled right from the CBOT time and sales records) but their stop was not triggered. This was their response:
    "The stop was not recorded because eMiniZ is looking for penetration of the stop level. Our developers are reviewing this behavior to determine if adjustments are needed."

That's fine but its the kind of thing you need to mention before it happens because its not how a real stop is implemented.

Also note that when the systems were stopped out they marked the trade as exited at the stop price. If you wait for the stop price to be "penetrated" before you exit then you can't use the stop price as the trade closing price, e.g. if you wait for XYZ to trade below 50 to exit then you can't mark the trade as closed at 50, at least not in the real world, apparently in the hypothetical world you can do anything.

Its a shame really, the site really seemed like it was completely above board but instead of fixing obvious flaws like that they just glossed over them.

#15     Dec 30, 2008