Is this George Bush's Democracy in Afghanistan, Death sentence to christian convert??

Discussion in 'Politics' started by mahram, Mar 24, 2006.

Is Democracy good or bad for the middleeast?

1. good

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. bad

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
  1. A just desert for the evil bible thumpers.

All these fools need to do is, keep their mouths shut!

#21     Mar 24, 2006
  2. Pabst

Pabst

I strongly agree. Like the notion of a Palestinian state, democracy in the fundamentalist Islamic world will be a failed experiment.

Short solution: Covertly execute any mullah's or Imam's who advance terrorist measures.

#22     Mar 24, 2006
  3. No, I didn't understand what you meant. I guess you weren't "accepting" that this is the kind of thing you can expect from Muslim populations. So you're shocked that an Islamic regime was installed. But that, my friend, is democracy in action. You seem to think it's just some fundie elites than insisted on it, and if instead the US had handed the Afghans some Denmark-like liberal regime the masses would have been just as pleased.

But then you say this, and I have to think that perhaps you do understand that the problem is Islam, afterall.

But if the problem is Islam, it's not Bush's "religion of peace phase" that you need to worry about it, it's the whole idea of trying to "spread democracy" to Islamic countries. Because democracy will simply mean more Islamic regimes.

The real solution is to install friendly hardliners, and if they are usurped by populist Islamic regimes, like the Taliban, we just go there kill a few people, install a new hardliner, and get out. That way, we could get away with one short, "police action" level, war every, what, five years or so. Not too enticing, but isn't it better than being bogged down year after painful year trying to make silk purses.

Of course, that would require a complete rejection of the liberal-neocon ideal that all other people can be just like us and that they want to be just like us, so defeating that misguided mindset would be the first order of action. Quite a tall order, too, given the unwillingness of its advocates to even consider the possiblity they might be wrong.

#23     Mar 26, 2006
  4. I guess I am being obtuse. I agree with you. I thought the deomcracy initiative was risky for exactly the reason you cite. If we were determined to have democracy, then we should have insisted on strict limitations on religious intereference. Certainly, establishing sharia law in the country's constitution was an act of pure idiocy.

I also don't buy the notion that Afghanistan is an independent country, it has an independent judiciary, etc etc. If they decided to invite al qaeda back in, I think we would not hesitate to act. If they decided to build nuclear weapons, I think we would find reasons to limit their indenpndence. But merely executing Christians, our State Department doesn't want to rock the boat over that.

Fine. Let them pay the price by losing control of congress.

#24     Mar 26, 2006
  5. Slaves were permitted to be imported until 1808 in US Constitution, and:

Section 2 of Article IV directs that persons "held to Service or Labour in one State, under the Laws thereof, escaping into another," meaning fugitive slaves, were to be returned to their owners.

Many slaves were 'owned' by bible christians.

!

#25     Mar 26, 2006
  6. We already do that. In fact we did that with the Shah in Iran. We did that in Iraq too. But he started keeping all the oil revenue for himself so we had to get rid of him.

The result is an even more excessive virulent form of Antiamericanism among the general population.

Quote from spect8or:

The real solution is to install friendly hardliners, and if they are usurped by populist Islamic regimes, like the Taliban, we just go there kill a few people, install a new hardliner, and get out. That way, we could get away with one short, "police action" level, war every, what, five years or so. Not too enticing, but isn't it better than being bogged down year after painful year trying to make silk purses.

#26     Mar 26, 2006
  7. http://www.religioustolerance.org/reconstr.htm

Slavery is still advocated in North America by some Reconstructionist Christians and a few racist fringe groups within the Christian Identity movement. Several of whom post here regularly.

Quote from JohnnyK:

Slaves were permitted to be imported until 1808 in US Constitution, and:

Section 2 of Article IV directs that persons "held to Service or Labour in one State, under the Laws thereof, escaping into another," meaning fugitive slaves, were to be returned to their owners.

Many slaves were 'owned' by bible christians.

!

#27     Mar 26, 2006
  8. Man its a good thing these mullahs who want to kill this afganistan apostate are only 15. Could you imagine how much worse it could be if these guys were crusty old geezers?

#28     Mar 26, 2006
  9. What does that have to do with Afghanistan? Do you think executing Christians is a good policy for our government to endorse?

#29     Mar 26, 2006
  10. It certainly wouldn't hurt anything.

#30     Mar 26, 2006