Is this Dell computer powerful enough?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dmq, Mar 9, 2009.

1. dmq

dmq

Saw a dell on sale at a major retailer, and I'd like to know if the tech gurus out there think this would be adequate to trade with? dell 530-1969 model, specs below -

Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor E2220
    2GB DDR2-800 RAM
    250GB Hard Drive
    DVDRW Drive
    19-in-1 Media Card Reader
    Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
    10/100 Network
    Microsoft Windows Vista Business*** (downgradable to XP Pro)
    Display Not Included

It's available at micro center for 399.99 , Throw in 2 Acer 20 inch monitors and I have a good (?) basic trading station at home for under $800 plus tax, seems like a good deal to me but as I am not a big tech guru, thought I'd ask first...

Thanks, Darian

2. gnome

gnome

Not that great of a deal.

Go to Dell's Outlet website.. and for $429, get a "Base T3400"... then add 2, 22" LCD's for about the same price.

3. cstfx

cstfx

4. Looks like you could only plug in one monitor - you'd need to get another video card to have two monitors.

5. I suggest building your own computer and buy seperate parts. If you need help choosing which ones I can help you.

Go to newegg.com

Get:

E8400 Processor
    GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel
    GeForce 260 Core 216
    Pick a case / 600w power supply..
    Crucial DDR2 1066 memory ( 4gb)
    Western Digital hard drive.. 320gb is like 75bux ...

Slap everything in together, get w/e monitor you with with DVI.

It might coz 100-150$ more but ther performance increase will be tripled.

6. you got to go to at least an E81400+ if you want it to pick trades for you :p

7. I'll jump on the band wagon here.

My computer is acting up (six years old) so I'm in the market for a new trading station (have all the peripheals, including several '17 to '19 inch monitors) so I have some personal interest in the topic of discussion.

Your basic setup is OK, but you have to at least have capapbility for four monitors (you might only use three, but you need capability for four). That's the standard of your competition, so that's what you'll need too.
    1 screen for order entry.
    at least 1 if not 2 screens for charts
    1 screen for excel, email, etc.
    Also, while you may want to scrimp on price, don't scrimp too much. This is the car you'll be riding in for the next few years and you want to make sure it can handle the ride. :)

Seeing as how you're on ET asking our opinions, you probably don't know how to put your rig together, and I would suggest that you find a good professional who knows what tyey are doing and can give you good service ... it won't really matter until you need it. :D

P.S. Gnome "knows his stuff" and you might want to check-out his other posts and read through a few other threads so you can get up to speed a little more.

P.P.S. Don't forget to do your backups, and have a paper copy of all of your information that is critical to your operations. Trust me when I say that "shit happens" when putting together your own business (which is what daytraing is essentially ... a business). You don't want to rely on a talented techie" to pull your ass out of the fire if you get into trouble in this area.

8. trendy

trendy

C'mon, we have been trading for years with computers with half the capability of that machine. Here's a tip, the fastest machine on earth is not going to make you a successful trader.

9. People still ride horses as a means of their normal transportation for getting around in the world ... that doesn't mean that you can't get a car. :p :D

10. No, an elite trader usually has this:

[​IMG]

#10     Mar 9, 2009